Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Ash Williams was our hero and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's three days until Halloween. Count it. Three. Anyone that knows anything about me knows that Halloween is my favorite holiday, narrowly beating out St. Paddy's Day. I mean, St. Paddy's Day has green beer and leprechauns. What's not to love?!

I don't have any particularly special plans for Halloween this year (I'm still trying to convince Dani to dress up at work with me), but I think that Aunt Poot and Uncle Darrell want us to come over to their house and hang out. Probably to have a bit of fun and help pass out candy. Which is nice since it's three days until the big event and I haven't bought one single little bit of candy. WHAT?! Can't a girl be mindful and not buy candy, because then she'll just eat it all herself? Geesh.

But since I have done absolutely nothing Halloween related this month (I've been lagging behind), I thought that I might share with y'all one of my favorite Halloween movie memories. 

When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time at my friend Rachel's mom's house. I say her moms house, because her, her two brothers, and little sister only went there every other weekend, and basically every time they were there, I was there. I know you're thinking, "Katie, they had limited amount of time with their mother, can't you just let them have it?"

And the answer to that is no, by the way.

 
Their mom was hardly ever home when they were there. She was always working or running around, so it didn't make a difference. Sometimes their step dad was there, sometimes he wasn't. While she (or they) were out, we all kind of fended for ourselves. Rachel's older brother always looked out for us, and Rachel always snuck into her mom's not so secret stash of things and we would all just hang out, drink, smoke cigarettes, (basically all of the things that teenagers want to do when they're not supervised), and watch movies. And if we needed something Chris would just drive their moms van to get it.

We watched so many weird and/or crazy movies. Some of our favorites were: Wishmaster, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Italian Job, and I, Robot. But our absolute favorite movie to watch, hands down, was The Evil Dead (the original) and it's (kind of?) sequel Army of Darkness. In fact, that's how my first ever boyfriend asked me to be his girlfriend, he used one of Ash's pick-up lines. Another story for another day.

So, one night we were all sitting around inebriated eating captain crunch berries, ramen noodles, and watching The Evil Dead, and when it was all said and done Rachel and I realized that her little sister had went to bed and the three boys (two brothers, one friend) had all went outside. So, we bundled up (and by bundled I mean put on a hoodie) and headed out to find them.

Her mom lived on a giant hill and there were fields all around it. We did what any two girls would have done being out alone in the pitch dark.... we headed through a field, because "we weren't scared." Ah, to be young and not so fearless again. As we were walking we were trying to talk to each other to keep our minds occupied. But we kept hearing cracks and footsteps (remember the inebriation?), so we held onto each others arms and kept trekking forward. I mean, if the guys could be out, why not us?!

That lasted all of five minutes, because we eventually heard a tree branch break and were convinced that it was Linda from The Evil Dead coming to collect her revenge and our souls. We both took off like we were on fire, still holding onto each other, back towards the house. Of course, the door was locked and we couldn't get in (thanks, Kirsten) and so we didn't waste too much time yanking on the handle, we just jumped the end of the porch and kept running. I'm pretty sure that we just ran circles, because about the third time we rounded the house we realized that the boys had pulled back up (they had taken the van into town to "pick up supplies") and were opening the side door when we came around.

We didn't slow down. We just kept running full force and lept into the van. I mean, we had to jump over all three boys and ended up taking them down with us, but that was neither here nor there. Of course, they asked us what was wrong and when we told them they went to investigate.... yeah, there was nothing there, it was all our imagination. I know, we were as shocked as you are. We insisted on sitting on the bench outside to partake in the festivities.... and then for the rest of the night.

We woke up there the next morning. And the boys still to this day haven't let us live it down. Oops?!

No comments:

Post a Comment