Tuesday, September 10, 2024

You can just go ahead and call me a gamer now.🎮🎮

That's untrue. Like... not true... AT ALL. The only game I ever played with any consistency was Mario on Nintendo... and even that was scarce. My brother was super into gaming growing up... had all the new consoles and games when they dropped... but... I was not exactly allowed to play on his gaming consoles because they were his and he didn't want me to touch them. None of my friends ever gamed when I was over... granted I was usually at work instead of hanging out... but still. I never even had a console of any kind that I was allowed to touch before my husband.

So... gamer... I am not.

And isn't that kind of hilarious? I am literally from the generation that couldn't wait to jump on board and excel with technology... surrounded by people who made gaming a fuckin Olympic sport broadcast throughout the world with more conventions than you could shake a stick at... and I got... nothing.

Seriously, for the most part I couldn't even tell you what any of those controller buttons fucking do. I mean, common sense would let me figure out a few things... but that was it. The rest? I got nothing, dude.

I always wanted to learn how to game. Not so much I wanted to be a "hardcore gamer" but I have always wanted to be able to load something up and at the very least participate. I didn't have to be great at it... shit I didn't even have to be decent... as sad as it sounds... I just wanted to be apart of it. But I learned fairly quickly... if people even let you participate at all... they get extremely irritated if you're not already on their level.

Like... HELLO?! How am I supposed to be on any level when I've never done this before a day in my fucking life? I HAVE NO LEVEL.

No matter how much desire I had to learn... I also didn't really have the inclination to buy a gaming console, pick the games, learn and play all of it by myself. Nothing about that seemed fun... it seemed like a chore. So... I let it go an resigned myself to being one of those people that just didn't do it. Having been shut down at every opportunity that had been presented... it just didn't seem worth it. Another one of those things.

But then... like he always does... my hubby had my back.

Now... he IS a gamer. The man can play any game you set in front of him... I've seen it happen. While he plays and tries all sorts of games... he reigns supreme at Call of Duty. And yes... I know there are like fourteen million COD games, but he fucking rocks them all.

Mobile. Online. Xbox. Playstation. Probably fucking board game if Monopoly has a version. The man can take two minutes and then *POOF* magic.

I love watching him play. He plays the most on his mobile and sometimes I'll just stare over his shoulder to watch what's going down. It's probably annoying as all shit... but he doesn't complain and even turns his phone a bit to give me a better angle when he notices. People probably think I'm psychotic and always checking his phone over his shoulder but honestly... we both do it. I like to watch him game and he likes to check on my reading. WE DO WHAT WE WANT.

He was always an Xbox kind of guy... but his Xbox took a dump not too long ago and we hadn't ever really replaced it... he just stuck to mobile.

AND THEN... Labor Day weekend rolled around and we were thinking of things to do for the long weekend. We already planned to spend as much time together as possible... we had our babies with us... we hung out with Mavis... tattooed of course... but then we were like ???

So Dev started telling me about his tournaments while we were having some banana bread... just a run through of everything that's been going down. I like to talk gaming with him even though I don't have the first clue what's happening. That led into the conversation of me telling him the story of why I don't know how to game even though I've always wanted to learn. He knew I didn't have the first clue to what I was doing... never had... but he had assumed it was because I just didn't care for it. Tried it and moved on.

NOPE. Just never had the opportunity presented and was flagged at every other turn. To say he didn't take kindly to his wife "never having that option as a kid" didn't sit well with him would be an understatement. Next thing I know, we made an agreement, said fuck it... and he took me to Gamestop. We walked out with a PS4, two controllers, and COD: Modern Warfare III.

And then promptly had to return the PS4 for a new one because the first was glitchy... and trade COD: MWIII for COD: Black Ops III and Smurfs Kart. Because split screen apparently isn't available for everything. Who knew? Apparently every single person but me... that's who.

Now my hubby is teaching me to game. And he's being about the sweetest and most patient person on the planet with me. The more we play the more he realized I truly didn't even have a starting clue so he breaks it down for me bit by bit as much as he can.

It's alot to try and remember and absorb... especially when I have ZERO hand/eye coordination... but I'm trying and having so much fun. It's a whole new experience for both of us. Me for never having done this... him for never having taught it. Especially from the basics. I think he enjoys it as much as I do... at least I hope so. 

We can just curl up, turn on some COD and take out zombies together.

I'm getting better. Trust me when I tell you I'm still NOT good... better than the first day... but better is not good just an improvement. But that isn't going to stop me from sharing this with my hubby. I may not be the best teammate for COD... but he's not complaining and we're having fun. 

And that, my friends, is how I became a gamer... ish person.

Or... at the very least... how I became my hubby's little late night zombie killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment