Thursday, May 14, 2015

It really is a small world afterall.

(But first- a little back story).

Connor and I (Mo's first born).

Most people know the story about how Mo and I first met and became friends, but not many people know too much else when it comes to our lives. We like our privacy. However, when you decide to have a blog that talks about your life, the people in it and other random things, sometimes you have to reveal a thing or two. And when you have a friend who writes about their lives, you kind of just go along with it to, because you know that she would do the same for you. Some things are always meant to be kept to yourself, but others you can find the exception for.

When Mo and I became friends we were just a couple of little kids. We played outside climbing trees and wore little frilly dresses to school and church. There was hardly ever a time that we didn't have dirt on our hands (until we had to wash up for supper) or a kool-aid mustache. Even as kids we had to work and had responsibilities, but things just seemed to be far more simple.

Mo's Momma's name was- Betty. Mrs. Betty as the rest of us called her. She was the age of most of our grandparents, but as kids we never put too much thought into it. Why would we have? She was a very nice lady and always made everyone feel welcome and loved. She let us stay up late watching tv on nights that we didn't have school (we would sneak and watch "birthing" shows), because none of us were ever allowed to stay with anyone on school nights. She would make us mayonnaise and pickle sandwiches (that sound gross, but are surprisingly delicious and Mo still eats them to this day). She was just a really great lady.

What none of us knew, or really cared to know, was that Betty wasn't Mo's biological mother. In fact, she wasn't even technically related to her by blood. You see, Betty had a daughter named Jo and Jo had a friend names Essie that she had ran around with while growing up. Essie is in fact Mo's biological mother. And when she had Mo's older sister Tricia, her grandparents took her to raise. And then she got pregnant with Mo a few years later and left her with Betty on a random visit. And Betty loved her unconditionally and without fault. She raised her as her very own. (Side note: Mo also has a brother that Essie did in fact raise, but none of the three of them are what you would call "close").

Mo and I (Prom 2008).

Have you ever met those people in life that you think- "Wow. They broke the mold when they made that lady". I have that feeling about very few people. My Momma is number one. But I have to say, Betty ranks right up there. It takes a special kind of person to be able to take a child in to raise and love her without any thought of yourself. And there we were, just kids.

And then when we were eleven years old, Betty passed away. It was a sad time and no one really knew what to say or do to help. I had no clue how to make Mo feel better and not be sad, so I was just there for her. And after a little time had passed, Mo began not to be so sad. Although, she still continues to love and miss Betty every single day.

Mo's biological mom seen her about once a year for as long as I can remember. And there were a couple of Summers that Mo went to visit her for a couple of weeks. She lived in Indiana while we lived in Tennessee and Betty, while always being her Momma, always encouraged her to spend time with her if that's what she wanted. I'm not sure if Mo really wanted to spend time with Essie, or if she just felt obligated like she should, but in any event after Betty passed Mo went to live with her daughter Jo and Jo finished raising her. And a couple of years back, Jo passed away.

Essie's kept in semi-contact with her over the years and even made the two trips to Tennessee when Mo delivered her first two babies (she's supposed to go down for the third one this month as well). And of course Mo lets her have things to do with the kids and they're friendly, but it's like she always says- "She's trying to be 'Momma' and she's not, Betty is".

And I told you all of that to tell you this.

Remember when I said that Essie lived in Indiana while we lived in Tennessee? Well, she did and that's where Mo would stay during the times that she visited in the Summer and ever so often. The other day when I was sitting in Aunt Poot and Uncle Doodles garage I listened to them talk about a woman named Essie. I found it strange, because let's face it, that's not exactly a common name. They talked about her a bit longer and I finally realized that they were in fact talking about Mo's Essie. So, Poot and I walked down to her house for me to officially meet her.


That's right, she not only lives within walking distance of my Aunts house (and very close to mine), but she actually lives just two houses down from them. And has for years. It's the same house that Mo used to spend those Summers at. Do you know what that means? That means that had my family not moved to Tennessee when I was very young where I met Mo and we became friends, there is a likely chance that I would have met her at some point in the Summer (because my Aunt would have babysat while Momma was at work) and we would have still been friends. I called her to tell her all of this and she replied with- "Of course we would've. It was just meant to be, and I couldn't have ever asked for a better best friend in my lifetime". (Cue the 'Awes' right now).

I know that I've been talking quite a bit about Mo here lately, but I reckon I've just got her on the brain since she's about to have her third baby and I'm not going to be there for it. Well, not physically there at least. She informed me that I'm always there in heart.     

No comments:

Post a Comment