Thursday, August 13, 2015

Wish us luck- Take two.

Back in the middle of July I wrote a post detailing what was going on with Momma and the steps that we were taking to be preventative in our current circumstance. This was after my initial freak out and almost a month into all of it.

We've still been following the guidelines set forth and I've been making sure that it gets cleaned, dried, medicine applied and wrapped twice a day, everyday. What can I say? I'm a stickler when it comes to what the doctor says about her. And the doctor said  to do all of this, so all of this we have done.

It's looking better, at least to me. The black is slowly pulling back and even though the wound is still open, infection has staved off (knock on wood, fingers crossed) and all in all it seems to have good color. Healing slowly, but surely. Then again, I'm no doctor, contrary to what my mother actually believes. So, the opinion of an actual medical profession is required.

And that's what we're doing today. I'm leaving work today for a few hours, long enough to go to the doctor with Momma (Aunt Poot is once again driving us- Thank you!) and then back to work. It makes for a weird day, but I greatly appreciate the time to get to go with Momma to find out what the doctors say and what we need to do next. (Thanks, Dani!!) Plus, Momma prefers it when I go, because according to her and Poot they "don't understand all that witch talk". Yeah, "witch talk". My Momma and Aunt still think that all doctors are witch doctors and speak a fake language to trick them. It's pretty hilarious.


This appointment went really good. This was the first time going to this doctor and he was extremely nice. Definitely a very pleasant man and I'm glad that Momma was referred to him.

He removed the piece of the toe that was dead (It was just the fatty/pad part on the bottom) and informed us that he thinks that we can definitely save the toe. Phew!

After he removed the piece, he talked to us about the treatment plan and told me how it needs to be doctored from now on. Instead of cleaning and medicating it twice a day, everyday, it has been switched to once a day, every other day. This is because we have switched from the regular cleaning and original cream/triple antibiotic ointment and have gone to Silvercel Non-Adherent Anitmicrobial Alginate Dressings.

Which is basically a fancy way of saying it's a gray medicated pad that draws out infection and helps keep wounds sterile and medicated. It's used quite often in wound care and I've used it many times, so we've got this. We'll have to wrap it when she takes a shower, because it has to stay dry, but that's no problem!

Her toe was already looking better, but now that he has removed that one piece that wasn't breaking apart like we wanted (i.e. dead), it looks SO much better. She goes back in two weeks, but it's only for a check-up. When it comes to wound care, doctors like to check in frequently. Which is just fine by me!!

So, there we are with it. It's doing better and we have our orders again. It only took us 2.5 hours total to go to this new doctor and figure everything out and I'm really glad that we did!! I know she's feeling beyond relieved with this news and aside from the fact that Aunt Poot almost hurled everywhere when I unwrapped Momma's toe to begin with, I know that she's glad that she went and knows that it's getting better to.

I know I am. I try to put on a brave face for Momma, but I do worry about her. I love her and I don't want anything to happen to her and I try to take care of her. She's my Momma, Best Friend, Confidant, Go-to and my Heart. She has to be ok. And we are well on our way to helping her get better with this whole foot/toe thing. And I for one, couldn't be happier about it!!