Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Wish us luck.

Momma has the appointment with her vascular surgeon today to see what has to be done about her foot. It's been two weeks since she went to him the first time and we've followed his treatment regimen as closely as possible. I clean, apply medicine and wrap her toe/foot twice a day and she finished all of her antibiotics. Now, we wait and see.

Her toe looks better to me, but I am no Doctor, so I couldn't tell you what it should look like and be doing by now. I know a little bit about this sort of thing, but not even close to enough to diagnose and let my opinion be the one that we go with. I do however hope that we've done well enough to merit the reward of being told that it's getting better, slowly, but surely.

I'm leaving work around 8:15 - 8:20 this morning to go to her appointment with her. And while I'll be coming back after it's over, I really wanted to go and I'm happy that Dani is going to let me slip out for a couple of hours, so that I can be there.

Momma is nervous and that's perfectly understandable. It's her toe/health that's on this here line. I keep trying to reassure her and tell her that everything is going to be ok. No matter what happens, we'll get through this and do it together. Greg is quite possibly the least helpful when it comes to boosting someones morale, considering he keeps tell Momma that they're going to have to cut off her entire leg. Thanks, Greg. Thanks. I told her that's not an option, they don't just go around cutting off peoples legs, unless there is no other alternative and that it's just her pinky toe, her leg is fine. So, in a few hours we will know the next step. Wish us luck.

Update:

Ok, so I just got back from the Doctor with Momma (and Aunt Poot). The good news is there's no infection and it seems to be healing well. That's so good to hear!! We went to her Vascular Surgeon and he says the pressure, circulation and all of that is great in her foot and to her toe.

However, he said that he's not a foot doctor (Podiatrist), so he is sending her to one that he feels would be great and they can monitor this together. The options are: They can let the toe keep healing on its own to see if it will rejuvenate itself, but it will take longer to heal and with that comes the risk of complications. The other option is to remove a piece of the toe and close it up, that eliminates most of the risk of infection.

Luckily, he says that the toe is not going to effect the rest of her foot, so that's not a concern. (Sweet!) He told us these options, but also said that he's sending her to an actual Podiatrist, because since everything is so good with the toe, they might decide that they want to go with the course of action that just let's the toe heal with the time it needs. Either way though, she has to have her foot monitored because of the- charcot foot.

And that's all we know for now. We don't know what the next step is going to be, but like all things, we'll take it together.