Tuesday, November 28, 2017

My thoughts on the limited series Godless. (Part II).

*Over this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, Uncle D and I decided to start a new show on Netflix.... Godless.

It's a limited series (seven episodes in total) and he's actually the one that suggested it. I had only got to see little snippets on social media and such, so I wasn't real sure on anything about it, but he had apparently seen a few commercials advertising it and wanted to check it out.

Catch up: Part I.

We managed to watch the first three episodes on Saturday night and the final four on Sunday evening.... and I would 100% recommend this series to any and everyone.

I know that there are alot of people that don't care for westerns (seriously y'all, what's wrong with you?!), but this is one of those shows that make you like it even if you don't give two hoots about the "framing."

Besides, it has actors like Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterson, Merritt Wever, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Michelle Dockery, and Jack O'Connell (whom I name last only because he's the newest to me), so you really can't go wrong.

I don't think that I've ever watched Thomas Brodie-Sangster in anything (apparently he's of Game of Thrones fame? and I only watched the first couple of seasons of that), but his way of portraying Whitey Winn made me an instant fan.

And I've been a fan of Jack O'Connell ever since I watched the movie Unbroken and quickly fell in love with the true story that he brought to life. The man is impressive to say the least. The very least, that is, because he is incredible.*

Episode Four: Fathers & Sons

Official Synopsis: "Bill receives some distressing news. Frank takes on a different type of danger. Through a series of of flashbacks, it is revealed that Roy had a brother from whom he was separated at an early age when he left Roy in the care of Sister Lucy. We also learn of Alice's past and how she and Bill first met. Roy, Truckee, and Iyuvi go on a hunting trip."

My thoughts: The episode opens with the morning of the La Belle mining accident and watching tiny little Whitey Winn pulling those dead men up and stumbling up onto one of the pregnant widows is DEVASTATING. It took seven dozen(84) lives.... wow. How is Whitey not more shell shocked from this incident? Sheriff Bill has to go identify Marshal John Cook (Sam Waterston) and once he come to the conclusion that the local law didn't do anything, he is even more driven to find Frank and stop all of this.... especially after he finds out that one of the gang members took the Marshal's badge. I'm not sure what the [point of this whole "sick house" smallpox scene is, but if it's to get me on Team Frank, it's not working. Although I concede that sometimes shitty people do good things, those twins are a terror and need to be shot asap. *flashback* So, that's why Alice has a little tender spot for Sheriff Bill. When she was widowed the first time (after the "flood"), a group of violent Native American beat and try to rape her (cutting her from her neck down to her navel in the process) and she fights back and that's when Sheriff Bill finds her, kills the attackers, and takes her to some nice Native American people that care for her. Roy Goode decides to take Truckee hunting.... and that's when Alice tricks him into taking her mother in law (Iyuni) as well. *flashback* when Roy Goode was a young'en his brother left him to be raised by Sister Lucy Cole. That's where that name on his letter comes from! Whitey is walking along with his girlfriend (Louise) who I guess isn't technically his girlfriend.... but she clearly wouldn't mind since she kisses him. She then requests that he take off his pants because she's "just gonna give him a bath" and they share a cute little moment in the creek UNTIL her daddy finds them and he very clearly does have a problem with Louise seeing Whitey (#hater). He sends Whitey off, whips Louise, and Whitey almost shoots him until Roy happens upon him and saves that day (again). Whitey understand what Roy has just done for him and I hope he remembers that once he finds out Roy's past. I don't know how Sheriff Bill just got out of the situation of Frank and all of his men surrounding him in a river.... but I'm gonna take it, because I feel like Sheriff Bill has alot more to offer.

Episode Five: Shot the Head Off a Snake

Official Synopsis: "Eager to track Frank and his crew, Bill solicits help from the Army. Meanwhile, Alice and Roy hit pay dirt and Whitey shares a secret with Mary Agnes."

My thoughts: Am I the only one that isn't surprised that Frank is the one that taught Roy how to break horses? We've already established that he's a horrible person that has a few good traits. How long did y'all let Roy hang in that tree before you cut him down? Damn. Of course the little traumatized church builder/baby almost got ate by a rattlesnake lady is the one to spill the beans on Roy. She doesn't know who he is, but that asshat writer sure is taking liberties with it. He's definitely gonna make Frank Griffin come into that town. Roy is learning to read at an unbelievable pace and Alice seems to be impressed.... and in awe. Speaking of awe, poor little Whitey is going to see Louise.... but turns back after seeing her from afar. Poor, Whitey. Roy finishes digging that well that I'm pretty sure Alice and Truckee have been digging on for like ten years and he seems at an impasse.... he knows it's time to move on. I love that Mary-Agnes is cutting her girlfriend short and being a dick and her girlfriend just straight up calls her out for it and for being a hypocrite. Get it, Callie!! Is it just me, or is Roy reading long lost/waterlogged mail to Alice for "practice" more romantic than actual grand gestures? Just me? Fine. So.... Roy dug his daddy back up, stole his clothes, and then reburied him? Cool, cool. Alice darlin, I would look sad if Roy said he was leaving me too. I love that Truckee is sassing Tig Ed Logan when they take the horses in.... do they recognize Roy? Uh oh. Roy: "Did you steal that from me." Truckee: "Eh."

My favorite part of the episode? That flashback of Frank watching a little teeny Roy steal his horse right in front of him, letting him ride out of town, and then hollering for his horse to buck Roy off. Priceless.

Episode Six: Dear Roy

Official Synopsis: "Mary-Agnes tries to help the free-spirited MArta escape her past. Grigg ensures Frank stays in the know. Roy struggles with his feelings for Alice."

My thoughts: Y'all, everyone knows that those twins are sociopaths. Roy knows it, I know it, that guy with too many knives knows it.... even Frank knows it. He's willing to overlook the fact that they just murdered their entire family (even the babies!) to have more followers.... Charles Manson much? It's ok Roy, I wouldn't want them in my "family" either. I'm loving this whole Pinkerton Detective/Mary-Agnes/Martha dynamic. So hilarious. Martha ain't scared to shoot a bitch in the leg and then take him in (#originalmadamefromthewayback). Is this preacher ever gonna show up? What are they gonna do once this church is completely built? Roy just beat the shit out of that guy.... and Frank knows Roy is no longer "under his control." Get the hell out of there, Roy!! Truckee isn't having this whole Roy leaving thing. Him throwing that fake gun and storming off is to Roy the way I feel when my dog is mad at me. It's emotional! Damn, Alice. Roy's all crying and upset and you choose this moment to kiss up on him? You go, girl! These two getting together for one night is what I imagine living near an Army base feels like. Never have scars been so sexy. Roy rides off into the horizon, but leaves his letter behind for Alice.... and it's true, his brother wants him to come and find him. Although, I feel like his brother promised to come back so maybe he should be the one to make that long ass trip? These flashbacks throw me off sometimes.... I thought I had missed something and then I realized that it was just showing the ladies of La Belle seeing their husbands off.... for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment