Wednesday, November 29, 2017

My thoughts on the limited series Godless. (Part III).

*Over this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, Uncle D and I decided to start a new show on Netflix.... Godless.

It's a limited series (seven episodes in total) and he's actually the one that suggested it. I had only got to see little snippets on social media and such, so I wasn't real sure on anything about it, but he had apparently seen a few commercials advertising it and wanted to check it out.

Catch up: Part I, Part II.

We managed to watch the first three episodes on Saturday night and the final four on Sunday evening.... and I would 100% recommend this series to any and everyone.

I know that there are alot of people that don't care for westerns (seriously y'all, what's wrong with you?!), but this is one of those shows that make you like it even if you don't give two hoots about the "framing."

Besides, it has actors like Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterson, Merritt Wever, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Michelle Dockery, and Jack O'Connell (whom I name last only because he's the newest to me), so you really can't go wrong.

I don't think that I've ever watched Thomas Brodie-Sangster in anything (apparently he's of Game of Thrones fame? and I only watched the first couple of seasons of that), but his way of portraying Whitey Winn made me an instant fan.

And I've been a fan of Jack O'Connell ever since I watched the movie Unbroken and quickly fell in love with the true story that he brought to life. The man is impressive to say the least. The very least, that is, because he is incredible.*

Episode Seven: Homecoming

Official Synopsis: "While the residents of La Belle prepare for Frank's onslaught, Whitey seeks help from an unexpected ally. Roy and Frank come to an understanding."

My thoughts: That newspaper guy (Grigg) is a dick and it's no surprise that the article he wrote to poke at Frank Griffin is ridiculous. I can't believe the ladies all rode out to Alice's ranch to "get Roy" and actually thought that was gonna work out. Like, even if he hadn't been gone (which he was), Alice would've shot y'all in the face. I'm not surprised that Tig Ed Logan and his crew stole all the horses. Douches. But Roy and Sheriff Bill finding them and giving them what for is priceless!! I just knew Frank and his Gang was gonna find Louise's family.... they're all dead, but Whitey is there to save her and her little brother just in time! Three cheers for Whitey Winn! Roy Goode and Sheriff Bill riding back to La Belle is what we needed. And look at those ladies loading up.... they're preparing for war!! WHAT?! WHITEY GETS TAKEN OUT FIRST BY A KNIFE TO THE CHEST?! A F*CKING KNIFE?! RIP Whitey Winn, we didn't know you long enough. This entire show was worth the wait just for this shootout scene! That ole Martha is one mean lady.... and Mary-Agnes and Alice ain't too bad either! About then, Sheriff Bill walks up into the middle of town and this is the equivalent of every single showdown in a Clint Eastwood movie. No one hits the mostly blind Sheriff and he ain't budging.... and in rides Roy! They take a shit ton of the guys out, and watching Alice shoot that guy right before he gets to Roy and Roy acknowledging her as the "saver" is the best. Of course Frank takes off after the fight is over.... and Louise finds Whitey's body. That's right Louise, I'm crying too. I knew Roy was gonna see Truckee again, you can't just leave it at what it was. Frank: "No.... I've seen my death.... this ain't it." Roy: "You seen wrong." Once Truckee catches Roy and Roy tells him to "not let that witch lady light him on fire again" it's time for the "real" western ending. After saying his goodbyes and realizing that Iyovi does in fact love him, he rides off into the sunset leaving behind his money for the woman he loves (as he had buried it under the fence post for her). The preacher finally shows up in time for Whitey's eulogy and I just can't get over Whitey being gone (even though I assumed it would happen early on). And then.... peace.

My favorite part of this episode? The entire exchange between Roy Good and Sheriff Bill. *Roy shoots the second guy in the leg* Random guy: "What did you do that for?!" Roy: "Uh.... because I'm just so damn mean, that's why."

There has been some talk about trying to pick this series up for a second season if fan response is positive enough.... but I'm of the belief that sometimes you need to let shit go. I mean, I loved this show and would watch it again in a heartbeat.... but no matter how much I love it, a second season would just damper the first. I feel like they told the story how they should've and they should just let it be what it is. More would just ruin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment