Tuesday, March 5, 2019

What happened to the Hot Topic?!!?! (And our youth by extension?)

This past Sunday, D and I had to go to the mall.... against our will and better judgment, but unfortunately, there are certain stores around here that we like/want/need and they are only available there (HELP US!).

After running into Carhartt (the entire reason for going to said mall) we decided to walk around to browse a few other stores and grab a bite to eat before the insanity of weekend shoppers hit. (I decided that we needed to be there between 11:30-11:45 in the morning, and it would have been sooner, but most stores don't open until 11:00 on Sunday). We ran into a store called Nirvana (and I immediately wanted all of their shirts, incense, and posters) and then had lunch in the food court (he had a Philly Cheesesteak, I had a burrito bowl (isn't that the best part about eating in a food court?), and then we decided that it was almost time to go, but we would hit one or two shops on the way out to the car.


Which two shops did we hit? Hot Topic and Spencer's. Because yes, I am twenty-nine (so is he), but we have hilarious stories and wonderful memories about being kids (because when you're a teenager you insist on being called a teenager, but as an adult you realize you were still a kid.... whether you had to grow up sooner than most) and getting our stuff there.

I always loved the band shirts and he always loved the bondage pants.

We should have known that something was awry, because as soon as we walked up to the door a little girl (like three?) and her brother and dad came waddling out (children used to be TERRIFIED of going in there).... two steps later I noticed how bright it was in there (and I'm not talking a little bright, I'm talking BRIGHT).... got to the doorway and I heard the wailing of Carly Rae Jepsen.... or maybe it was Cardi B? Basically, it was somebody that shouldn't be played inside HT.

What. In. The. Actual. F*ck?!!?!

Sure, D had told me that it had changed over the years, but I didn't think he meant completely and that it would utterly devastate me. Instead of the dark corners that used to feel cool there are bright lights and pink EVERYWHERE. Instead of the amazing band shirts that lined every single wall there are One Direction and Ariana Grande AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE. Instead of the dude that works at the counter and looks so much like a serial killer that it puts you on edge, there's A GIRL CHOMPING BUBBLEGUM AND WEARING BOWS. Instead of the shelves lined with "alternative" tv show and movie shirts and accessories there's DISNEY PRINCESSES EVERYWHERE. Seriously, it kind of looks like the Disney store at this point.

There's nothing in there that even remotely resembles the place that had once let us get out all of our angst through weird clothes, bags, posters, and accessories. It's just.... gone. And that makes me sad.

Then again, there's alot of things that make me sad lately, so maybe it's just me? But no, it might be me, BUT it's also them. I grabbed a couple of band shirts (I'm very upset that they didn't have the Ozzy I wanted in my size), that are way too overpriced and we got the hell out of there.

Needless to say, we won't be going back in there.... seriously, like ever. And I will be buying my band shirts and everything else pertaining to it online. We hit Spencer's after we left HT and perused the shot glasses, lingerie, wallets, stripper poles, hats, and buttons, had quite a few laughs and left.

Once we left there the mall was full of people and since we hate people with a burning passion, we hightailed it out of there as quick as f*cking possible, because people.... ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment