Wednesday, May 18, 2022

I feel like someone took Lucille to my face: Post Op. (Part II).

Well y'all, it's official. I'm never gonna dance again. Why? Because guilty feet have got no rhythm.

I'm just f*cking with you, I've never danced. Not well at least. No, I'm just trying to stay positive and use my favorite defense mechanism.... sarcasm

The truth is, I had my top row of teeth removed and had to get a temporary plate (until my custom one is finished) last Friday. This entire process has been ongoing for a bit and we're at the second(?)/third(?)/something stage. I'm not really sure what stage you would count this as?

Whichever one it is, it's the painful and frustrating one.

I have to wear this plate damn near 24/7, with the exception of the time it takes for me to shower (that's when I have to take it out and clean it hansolo style), including but not limited to sleeping. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all and I much prefer to have some teeth in my head, but it's still pretty sore so even moving it a tad makes me want to pee down my leg.

I just keep reassuring myself that this is all temporary. That this is just part of the healing stage and eventually things will get better and easier. I'm not real sure if I believe that or if I just keep telling myself that in hopes of living in denial, but there's a 50/50 chance either way.

One thing I didn't expect this process to do was make me so damn emotional. Seriously, I woke up at three o'clock Friday morning crying and proceeded to cry on and off for the next... oh, I don't know... EVEN NOW. Like, what? I cried before, during, and long after. It's been a few days and has that stopped my random ass waterworks? Hell no. And I can't even pinpoint exactly what it is that's making me cry, so I can't even fix it. Maybe it's just from being so overwhelmed in general? Ugh.

The entire appointment Friday went by real smooth and pretty damn quick. The hardest part of that was getting numbed up for the extractions. You ever had to have work done on your very front teeth? Feels like the needles are being shoved up your nose repeatedly. It's not what I would call a fun time. But, he popped out six of the seven before I even realized he had started. He got to the seventh one though and I almost ran away, because it had been causing me pain. It crumbled on him, but once he got it out informed me that I had so much pain, because I had an exposed nerve. Glad that problem's taken care of.

My adorable husband went in late to work so he could take me to my appointment and he has been taking care of me round the clock. He insisted I not move and do as little as possible over the weekend and still won't let me do anything too crazy around the house, because the doctor said taking it easy is the best way to heal. Luckily for me and my adorable little Gatorbaby (is it lucky? I don't think that's what that means), this entire process has been fairly draining, so getting me to rest as much as possible hasn't really been too bad of a challenge.

The current plate that I have in is for healing/training. It's basically made too large to accommodate for all the situations that will happen in the healing process and it's to help me train myself into wearing one and learn how to eat/talk/etc. before receiving the "custom" one. And I say custom, because it's what I had to have my impressions made for. I'm hoping the new one curves with my jaw, because this one doesn't and it's a pain in the ass trying to get it sealed and stay up there. I also can't use adhesive anywhere except the roof of my mouth (or palette for fancy folks) until my extraction sites are closed up, so it's a process.

A slow, demanding process. That may or may not be my downfall.

I've been trying to have a good sense of humor about it. Even my jokes have been killing it. Everyone has been fairly kind so far, even though I know I look ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure D would punch somebody in the throat if they were mean or hurt my feelings either way. Of course, I can always count on my brother to call out how ridiculous I look. Yes, bro, I know I look like a resident of Whoville.

I played Cindy Lou Who in the Christmas play when I was little and this is just giving me flashbacks. In my defense, I was a lot cuter of a Who at six than I am at thirty-two.

I wouldn't say that I'm in pain. Well, not constant pain at least. I'm more sore and tender than anything. And taking out this plate to clean it, rinse my mouth, and having to put it back in? Cue the peeing down my damn leg. However, I've also refused to take anything more than ibuprofen even though I have the option of something stronger, so I've been trying to keep my complaining about that down to a minimum. 

I'll tell you what, I'd rather deal with this sore/tenderness for a bit as opposed to dealing with that constant toothache. 

Oh, and the entire left side of my face has a nasty bruise. The right is bruised a little too, but nothing like that left. Did I mention I feel less vicious without my natural canines? No? Oh, well, there's that.

Also, how am I ever supposed to french kiss my husband again? Get back to me on that.

Eating is completely off the table right now. My mouth is simply too damn tender to deal with food. And trust me, I HAVE TRIED. Since I can't have food, D has been making me these breakfast essential/protein shakes with extra chocolate syrup. Mostly because he's the absolute best, but also so I don't starve and hopefully get some much needed vitamins.

Speaking of D, y'all, he has been taking such good care of me. I thank him constantly and he's all "I'm your husband, I'm supposed to take care of you, I love taking care of you, I love you." This hasn't been a pleasant experience whatsoever, but it would've been a shit ton worse without him. He's really just made sure I'm ok and I can't tell you how much that means to me. Because I most definitely have not been ok.

Oh, and my lisp is back. Like, full force pretending like I didn't have to take four years of speech therapy growing up to improve my speech impediment kind of back. And I whistle my s's. Fuuuuuck me.

My days have been full of rest and taking it easy. I go to work and do little things around the house (a load of laundry or wash some dishes), but for the most part, I've been trying to stay calm and relax. It's not like I actually have the energy to do anything even if I wanted to. 

I go back in to the dentist tomorrow (5/19) for my first follow up since the extractions and hopefully they can readjust this current plate a little and he thinks I'm healing up well and making decent progress. A girl can dream, right?

So, that's where I'm at with it. Swollen and looking like a member of the Whoville senior citizens club. But, I'm taking it the best I can and chugging along. Because I'm not a quitter and as my hubby said, I'm adaptable. Sure, it may take me awhile, but I'll be damned if this learning curve is gonna best me.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. *insert nervous laughter here*

No comments:

Post a Comment