Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Sometimes you have to drive 1,000 miles on a whim.

After my post last Monday, I received a call from D that worried us enough to make an emergency trip to Florida. While I won't go into in-depth detail, I will say that what has hit our family is devastating and unimaginable. My FIL needed us and we all felt the need to rally behind him. 

Not felt. Feel. We still feel the need to rally behind him, we just all have to find our own way to do that. For whatever he or my MIL needs. 

While there, we made sure things were done around the farm and house. Just trying to keep busy and make things as easy as possible for them for the next while. You know, those things that you have on your list to be done eventually, but then "eventually" smacks you in the face and it feels like everything is closing in on you? Yeah, we did those things.

We also managed to wrangle five kids between the ages of two through ten, sweat off seven pounds, and live on coffee to the point I thought I should've just hooked up to an IV of it. Oh, and the immediate family (Dev + MIL + FIL + BIL + SIL) made a hand cast for my MIL to keep around for when she feels like she needs it.

(Side note: I ordered one for D and I upon his request once we got home and I can't wait to do it together!)

There was some much needed time spent with Grandma and honestly, I think everyone just needed some hugs, understanding, and reassurance. Even though we were just there in April, we (especially D) really needed this trip.

I hate that D is so far away from his family. And I hate that he's so far away from them, because of me. But, this is where we've built our life together and everyone understands that we have to be at our home where our lives and jobs are. Does that make it easier, especially in a situation like this? Hell no. 

But, we're trying. D's having a hard time with it, which I completely understand, and we're truly just hoping for the best at this point. At all the points. 

They all know we're just a phone call away and we can't wait to get down and see everyone again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment