Friday, October 13, 2017

An avid horror fan always celebrates Friday the 13th!!

It's that time of year again.... Autumn is upon us and with it being October it's time for the best of holidays HALLOWEEN. And yes, I'm a horror fan and movie watcher year round, but there is just something special about October. That's when all the best movies repeat on tv and everything is just a little bit spookier!!

There have been reports and confirmations that thanks to one of my main men- Danny McBride (and no, he doesn't know that he's one of my main men, but the man is busy and don't need to know evvvverythinggg.... just go with it)- and his frequent collaborating partner- David Gordon Green- will be rewriting/revamping one of the most popular and beloved horror classic franchises.... Halloween.

And yes, today is Friday the 13th and that is a direct reference to Jason Voorhees, but we're celebrating with Michael instead today, because it's October, dammit.

The story of Michael Myers and Laurie Strode has been around since long before my birth, which means that as a horror fan, it's always been one of my favorites and I watch it every year.... not just in October.


While I tend to ignore pieces of the franchise such as: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, there's no denying that I still watch and love them all.

Oh yeah, and I prefer to mostly ignore Halloween II (Rob Zombie's remake), except I like the roles of Annie and Sherriff Brackett and the majority of the regular movie.... but when they started with all that "ghost" blah shit, I checked out.

But no matter where you stand on the sequels, remakes, etc.... there's no denying that Laurie Strode (aka the original- Jamie Lee Curtis.... sorry Scout-Taylor Compton, you rocked, but you're not Jamie Lee Curtis) is ICONIC. There's a reason that her mother (Janet Leigh- the original victim of Norman Bates in the infamous shower scene!) held the title of Scream Queen until she showed up.... Jamie Lee Curtis is just AMAZING.

People have been trying to recapture the spirit of the original Halloween for decades and none of been able to replicate it.

And while many hated the Rob Zombie remake (my mother HATES it with a passion.... too long for her) and others loved it, I stay on the side of the fence that loves it, because it goes back into the origin of Michael doing what he did back when he was a kid (stabbing his own sister to death with a kitchen knife when he was six.... and dressed as a clown) and holds onto the original at the same time.

My favorite Halloween movie aside from the original is probably Halloween H20: 20 Years Later. Why? Because not only does it follow Laurie Strode all of these years later, still trying to cope with the trauma of her unknown boogeyman brother being a psycho and trying to kill her, but it shows the fact that she was willing to try anything (ie: faking your own death and becoming a principal at a private school in the woods) to escape her past.... but she never could. Not to mention, it has Josh Hartnett as her son, John, and I've loved him for years. So, win win.

With all of that being said, McBride and Green are teaming up with John Carpenter himself to take a stab at (*pun intended) trying to bring the franchise back to its beloved roots. Oh, and Jamie Lee Curtis is going to reprise her role of Laurie Strode. THIS IS NOT A DRILL, IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Fans of the franchise thought we had seen the last of Jamie's Laurie in 2002's Halloween: Resurrection when *spoiler alert* she gets stabbed in the back and falls off a psychiatric building where she had been a patient for three years after the events of Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, to her death. Now that we know she's coming back.... we're pretty damn excited! (And yes, I can speak for all of us).

I've been reading everything I can about the upcoming film (scheduled for release in 2018) and it keeps getting better with time. Apparently they're going to ignore the last forty years and treat this movie as a direct sequel of the 1978 original (they've done way stranger things than this in the followups). While I don't know exactly how this is going to work (and even though I know they won't I'm still hoping for Josh Hartnett to return as Laurie's later in life son), I have to say that I'm pretty excited about it.

And yes, I feel the need to embrace EVERYTHING about this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment