Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Doctors? Those muggle nutters that cut people up?!!

Yes this is usually my reaction to going to the Doctor. Any Doctor. Doesn't matter to me which kind of Doctor or for what. Ron Weasley said it better than I ever could have on my own. I blame it completely on the time that I had to go to the Emergency Room when I was four years old to get 7 stitches in the front part of my head. (My older cousin had been twirling me around the living room, let me go, and I fell head first into the corner of our wooden coffee table.) I still have the scar from it. My hair naturally parts there now, and the hair doesn't like to grow a little right there, resulting in a very small bald spot. It Completely Traumatized Me for Life!! A little over dramatic? Perhaps. But, that just so happens to be the exact way I feel about the so-called "mandatory" Doctor visits. I don't like anything that I'm supposed to do on a regular basis that doesn't involve cake. If I have to go to the multitude of different doctors 3-5 times a year (including labs, testing, checkups, etc) then they should at least offer cake in the Waiting Room or at the Check-In Window. Just saying.

Yesterday was no exception. I had to go see the "Lady-Doctor" to have everything checked out, and try to get some things fixed.  I am supposed to go every 3 to 6 months to have a certain something checked after I had a biopsy.  Needless to say my last check-up/biopsy was over a year and a half ago, so I finally gave in and said to myself "Ok Katie, quit being a procrastinating butthead, and make an appointment to go to the doctor". So I did.  The only reason that I had finally talked myself into that one was because I've been having a few "issues" so I figured better get them fixed while I can. (Gotta love having some Health Insurance!)

Now just a reminder that I have only lived back up here in Indiana for around 9-10 months. So not even a full calendar year. That being said it's pretty easy to assume that I didn't even have the slightest idea where to make an appointment or  which Doctor to see. I asked a few people (my Aunt and Cousin), and finally settled on going to Inigo's Doctor. Inigo assured me that this woman was an excellent physician. Apparently she had all of the qualities that you are supposed to look for in a good OB/GYN.  She was: ~thorough ~listened to her patient's well ~had degree upon degree (smarty britches) ~funny ~minimal crazy Which sounded great to me. All of these great qualities are what you want in a doctor. Especially one that going to go snooping around in your "business" (if you know what I mean). 

Sorry kids this story doesn't take a horrible left turn at crazy/traumatized for life road. For once Inigo wasn't playing a joke on me. (Probably because it was a medical thing). The Doctor really was a very nice lady. She talked to me for a very long time wanting to know about my personal/medical history. We laughed and talked and I told her alot about what had been going on with me and my body (after about 30 minutes of her trying to get me to talk about it). What can I say? I'm fairly private and like to keep things to myself. Except on here. Really should've thought this whole thing through a little bit better. I was doing perfectly fine, and then she said it. The 14 words that no girl/woman likes to hear. (or maybe they do, but I certainly don't.) 
                      
"Please get undress, and put this gown on, I'll be back in one moment"
Yeah...I've never liked them words. They feel very "chilling" to me. For some reason I start to feel very anxious and start having flashbacks of things that haven't even ever happened to me, but I have them anyway. I think it's due to the fact that I watch way to many Horror movies and things in my life. I don't think that I've even seen a movie where any kind of Doctor did anything crazy enough to warrant these flashbacks or ensue panic, but for some reason my mind just goes there and makes things up all on it's own. 

My mind is a curse and a really fun carnival ride at times. She finally returned after I had panicked for about 10 minutes (not counting the panic that I had felt in the Waiting Room earlier before it was even time for my appointment). She knew I was panicked so she just tried to keep me into our conversation and keep me as comfortable as possible. She really is quite a funny lady. Apparently her Daughter is going to be a Teacher to, so I say "Yay! Good Luck in your Future, Girl I've Never Met!" She said that everything looks good as far as my exam goes. Of course she ran some tests for "Precautionary Measures", and I have to go have my blood drawn for my Lab Work first thing in the morning.  I get the results back from my tests in the next week or so, and go from there. The reason that I'm having my labs done is because she wants to go ahead and have everything tested to make sure that I'm healthy and to have my Cholesterol, Blood Sugar, and Thyroid checked. She thinks that there may be a problem with my Thyroid, which she said is not a big deal, it just has to be checked, and it's easy to deal with the problem. Either you take medicine for it or you have it removed, No Biggy. Apparently that (Thyroid) along with my Mirena spitting out to many Hormones at one (consistent) time is what is causing all the problems that I've been having. At least that's what she's thinking which is good for me. Easy fix that way. I had the Mirena removed yesterday (I had it 4 years and 4 months ), and like I said getting the Labs on the Thyroid tomorrow. So done. Other than that most things are good. 

I of course have to take a little medicine just to get the Immune System back up to where it's supposed to be. That's normal though. Every Doctor that I've ever been to said that it's easy for my Immune System to get down there a little because of the fact that I'm Anemic.  Hey, at least the Asthma hasn't acted up in almost two years! Yay! Go Me! I Have To Start (today) Taking: ~Multi-Vitamin ~Calcium ~Vitamin D ~Water Pill (I chose Pamprin) ~Biotin(I've taken it for 5 years or so anyways) See no biggy, just a couple little Vitamins to help everything out. 

They say: "A Smooth Sea Never Made For A Skillful Sailor" But I've Never Been A Gigantic Fan Of The Deep Water Anyways, So It's All Good. I don't know why I felt the need to share this bit of Information, but I did so it's there. Perhaps, keeping a sort of updated description of events in my life will help me in the future when I decide to look back on everything. I Don't Know. Oh Well, at least I got it out of my head (it will be back later) and put it somewhere else for the time being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment