Sunday, June 9, 2013

She loves you- Happy Birthday, Johnny D!!

Just like the song "She Loves You"-"The Beatles" was released 50 years ago, my favorite actor was also born. Whom would that be you ask? Well no other than the one (and only) 
Johnny Depp! He has filled my Childhood/Adult Life with so many Happy Memories, and I so appreciate it! His Characters have touched my heart, and lead me on Adventures of my own!

Yes, yes, today is the 50th birthday of Johnny Depp! I know there are many people that dislike Johnny Depp, and they're all entitled to their opinions. My opinion about those people just happens to be that they're stupid. Just saying. Put aside the fact that he's completely gorgeous, and just focus on his career in general. He started in a low budget horror movie playing Glen Lantz, moved onto a television show that no one thought would last through even one season playing Officer Tom Hanson, and managed to maneuver his way to where he is now. That is pure talent, spirit, and determination if you ask me. He could have given up and pursued anything else, but his true passion was acting, so he followed through and has become the well known man that he is today. 

Being beautiful just happens to be an added bonus to his fans. If he didn't look like he did, I would still watch all of his movies, and be a huge fan, because I think that he's one of the most talented actors of his lifetime (or mine). He has played so many diverse roles/characters, that every time I watch him in something different I'm completely amazed at the fact that it's the same person playing the parts. I myself have never seen a movie of his that I didn't care for. I of course have my favorites like everyone else would.

My Favorite being What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Yes, out of all of his high-end, special graphics, and big budget blockbusters, my favorite out of all of his films is Gilbert. Go figure. I love this movie, and have since I was a little kid. That was the second Depp, and first DiCaprio movie that I had ever seen, and it solidified my love for both of the actors. That movie is sad, but so very good. Who would think that something like that can make you look at your entire life in a completely different way? It is my favorite Depp (and DiCaprio for that matter) film. 
Where's Arnie? Gilbert!! Love it!!

Although it is a good movie and I loved it when I watched it, there is one Depp movie that I have only watched one time, and don't anticipate watching it again. This movie is Edward Scissorhands. I have watched every one of his movies several times, more than I have ever watched any other movie, and own almost every single one of them. However, this particular one I watched once, and even though I own it, have never watched it again. Why? Because (to me) it is the saddest movie ever made! He has very few lines in the film, but you can read every emotion his character is going through as clear as day on his face. I cried for at least three hours when I watched it, I cried randomly throughout the next few weeks, and even now at times if I get to thinking about it too much I tear up a little. I think that it's just how I'm remembering how sad Edward was, and since I was a little girl when I watched it, I can't get passed that childhood part of me. I really did love it, I swear, it's just so sad that I can't bring myself to watch it again. I can't get that look out of my head that came across his face. He was so full of love, and all he wanted was for someone to love him back! Come on people! Is that so much to ask? Ok, I have to move on now, I'm getting teary eyed.

The films that he is probably most famous for, would have to be Pirates of the Caribbean. Captain Jack Sparrow is basically a household name, and everyone knows who he is, regardless if their a Depp fan or not. He brings so much to the table with his cookiness and eccentricness. There are no words to describe Captain Jack except, INCREDIBLE!!

I won't go into all of the wonderful things that I have to say about him, or all of the amazing things that he has done in his personal life. Some things, I think, should just stay out of it, because the actions themselves stand alone. As far as his kids, relationships, legal issues, Native American adoption, charity work, and everything in between I will let lay. Like I said, they stand on their own.

I would like to mention the work of Depp with his close friend, and my favorite director/producer, Tim Burton. They have collaborated on many movies together, and I love them all. The characters that Depp played, and Burton directed are:
Edward-Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood-Ed Wood (1994), Ichabod Crane-Sleepy Hollow (1999), Willy Wonka-Charlie and the Chocoalte Factory (2005), Victor Van Dort-Corpse Bride (2005), Sweeney Todd-Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), The Mad Hatter-Alice in Wonderland (2010), and Barnabus Collins-Dark Shadows (2012). They really are a great team, and I hope that together they have many more films to come!! I could talk for hours, days, probably even weeks about Johnny Depp, but I won't. Instead I will let everyone form their own opinions for themselves. To me he is just an amazing Actor, and I love him/his work. 

His other movies that I haven't yet mentioned (so far), but for the record still love/adore include:
Private Resort (1985), Slow Burn (1986), Platoon (1986), Cry Baby (1990), Benny and Joon (1993), Arizona Dream (1993), Don Juan DeMarco (1995), Dead Man (1995), Nick of Time (1995), Cannes Man (1996), Donnie Brasco (1997), The Brave (1997), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), L.A. Without A Map (1998), The Ninth Gate (1999), The Astronaut's Wife (1999), Chocolat (2000), Before Night Falls (2000), Blow (2001), The Man Who Cried (2001), From Hell (2001), Once Upon A Time In Mexico (2003), Happily Ever After (2004), Secret Window (2004), Finding Neverland (2004), The Libertine (2004), Public Enemies (2009), The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009), The Tourist (2010), Rango (2011), The Rum Diary (2011), Jack and Jill (2011), 21 Jump Street (2012), and The Lone Ranger (2013).

He also produced:
The Rum Diary (2011), Hugo (2011), and Dark Shadows (2012)

Directed:
The Stuff  (1992), and The Brave (1997).

Wrote:
The Brave (1997)

Narrated/Acted/Appeared in Documentaries:
The Source (1999), Lowell Blues (2000), Lost in La Mancha (2002), Deep Sea 3D (2006), Runnin Down A Dream (2007), Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (2008), When Your Strange (2010), and Pearl Jam Twenty (2011). 

Contributed his Musical Talents to:
Chocolat (2000), Once Upon A Time In Mexico (2003), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), Aerosmith: Music from Another Dimension! (2012), and The Hookah Lounge: Volume 1 (2013). 

And Appeared/Guest Voiced on Television Shows Such As:
Lady Blue (1985), Hotel (1987), The Vicar of Dibley (1999), The Fast Show (2000), King of the Hill (2004), and SpongeBob SquarePants (2009). 

He's been nominated for many awards over his career, losing a few of course, but winning quite a few as well.

He won a "Golden Globe" in 2008 for Best Actor in a Picture Musical or Comedy- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Two "Rembrandt Awards", both for Best Foreign Actor once in 2008- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, and in 2011- Alice in Wonderland.

A "Screen Actors Guild (SAG)" in 2003 for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

and Eight "Teen Choice Awards" including:
Best Liar-2004-Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Best Fight-2004-Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Best Action/Adventure Actor-2006-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Best Comedy Actor-2006-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Best Action/Adventure Actor-2007-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Best Villain-2008-Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Best Voice Actor-2011-Rango
Best Action Actor-2011-The Tourist  

HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, JOHNNY DEPP!! YOU DON'T LOOK A DAY OVER 30!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment