Thursday, February 13, 2014

I'm two dozen doughnuts old today- Oy vey!!

Today is my 24th birthday.

Yeah, you heard that right. I'm two dozen doughnuts old today. 24. Wow! I can't believe that I just said that. 24. I am the same age as Desert Storm, Dances with Wolves, the Hubble Space Telescope, the original Sci-fi channel, Ice Ice Baby, and Jonathan Lipnicki. Among other things. When I was born- the average gallon of gas was $1.16 (Although I remember seeing it for much lower), a stamp was $0.25, a dozen eggs was $1.00, a gallon of milk was $2.78, and a brand new Furby was $39.99. And trust me, Furbies were a big deal back then. The president was George Bush (the first one), Dan Quayle was the vice president (which we thought was funny because we called my cousin Dani- Dan Quayle), America's population was 249,438,712, unemployment was 5.3%, and the average life expectancy was 75.4 years. I feel so old, but not necessarily in a bad way.


I have never really put a lot of thought into age. I've never been one of those girls that was all- a lady never reveals her age. It just never really seemed to be all that big of a deal. I've always had older friends, dated older guys and people have always told me that I'm mature and grown beyond my years. I believe the term they used was- old soul. Which I couldn't agree with more. So here I sit. The morning of my twenty-fourth birthday. One year away from being a quarter of a century old. Usually in this kind of situation people would list the things that have came and gone or the things that they thought they would have accomplished by my age. Well, you know what? I feel no need to talk about that. I don't feel any need to justify my decisions, my choices or my lifestyle. I don't feel there's anything wrong with the facts that I don't own a house, I'm not married nor do I have children at this age.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when it comes to that. Let's face it- the economy is down to low to be home shopping if you're not very financially stable, people don't get married anymore for love, it's more of a game/sport to them (thanks a lot Kim Kardashian), and I'm not even sure that I want children. I know, hold you're shock of surprise, but I'm just being honest. I'm still a hopeless romantic. Somehow and where in my head I'm convinced that someday I will meet the "perfect" guy for me, we will fall in love, and everything will be "magical", just like the picture in my head. I don't know if all of these things will happen. I don't know if I'll ever get married, if I'll ever have kids, if I'll ever own a house, or if I'll ever have a car that I don't put duct tape on to fix. I don't know if I'll be working in an office for the rest of my life, if I'll ever see my old friends again, if I'll ever get up the nerve to actually go sky-diving, or if I'll walk out today and get hit by a bus. None of us really just know. Life is a big mystery and regardless of what some say when they're teasing me, I'm still young. However, for my birthday I would like to share some of the things that I have learned over the years. 24 things that I've learned over my 24 years- well, what I can remember at least, after all I did leave my purse at the sub shop while on lunch Tuesday and didn't remember it until we got back to work. I guess "old age" is catching up with me.


1. There are always those certain songs that will take you back to "that night." 
2. Time always heals a broken heart, even when we don't think that it will. 
3. If you are not happy with a situation- only you can do something about it.
4. Trust your gut instinct. Don't second guess yourself. Don't let your head talk you out of it. 
5. Every time I watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, I cry like a little baby.
6. Momma is usually always right, your best friend and the one you want when you're sick.
7. Red lipstick always makes you feel fancy- no matter the situation.
8. You only need a few close friends- quality over quantity. Choose wisely.
9. Cupcakes are appropriate for any occasion.
10. It's ok to stay in and relax instead of going out to party- to each his or her own.
11. It is easier to make yourself happier, than to dwell on how others made you unhappy-
it's ok to be yourself, smile and laugh.
12. Standing too close to the TV and reading in dim light really will mess up your eyes.
13. The only thing worse than strep throat is the chickenpox- the only thing worse than the chickenpox is the measles- the only thing worse than the measles is bronchitis- the only thing worse than bronchitis is- not knowing what's worse than bronchitis.
14. Every girl needs to own a pair of boots that make her feel like a total badass.
15. Being weird is not necessarily a bad thing. It's the day of the nerds- let us reign!
16. Animals make the best friends- they are not replaceable as companions.
17. Nicholas Sparks sets you up for failure and disappointment.
18. Laughter is the best medicine.
19. Sarah Mclachlan is the devil and the ASPCA commercials are beyond sad.  
20. There are times to be completely serious, but more often there are times-
 that you can be a big kid at heart and have fun.
21. The saying- "liquor than beer have no fear, beer than liquor puke quicker" is a lie-
 mixing any kind of alcohol and/or liquor is a horrible idea.
22. Talking in movies quotes and lyrics is completely acceptable-
 as long as you know what's going on.
23. Surround yourself with the people that you want-
 not the ones you think "should be there". 
24. Life is better in books- reading is fantastic!
 
And, of course, one to grow on- your happiness is your own!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment