Saturday, February 8, 2014

Since it is technically the "month of love" and valentines day is in 6 days, I of course compiled a list

Any and everyone that knows anything about me, knows that I am a serious romantic. Like, seriously bad. It gets to the point in my life that I'm all- no one will ever live up to the level that my imagination has created, so why even bother? Yeah, I know it's impractical and insane, but sometimes that's just how my mind works.

I've always been an avid reader and movie buff, so I blame them for this slightly psychotic and unrealistic mentality that I possess. It's not one of those things where I try to "blame the media" and things of that nature, it's more like these things just happen to give your mind some ideas. And in the hands of an impressionable young girl, it helped form my mind and opinion on how I wanted my "love life" to be.

I got to thinking about all of this while I was reading an article about Leonardo DiCaprio. I know, right? He was the epitome of teenage girl angst, and the older he gets the more obsessed I seem to become with him. He's just hands down a beautiful man and is aging like fine wine.

I got to thinking about all of the "love stories" that I've read throughout my life and all of the movies that I've watched. Who would have thought that they would make me so giddy even in my twenties? Is that sad? Oh well, even if it is I really don't care. It's just who and how I am. Deal. I decided to share some of my favorite "movie loves" since they don't exactly have videos for books. Do they? Not that I know of at least. I can't list them all, but here are just a couple off the top of my head. Well, that and a small list I made. You know me and my lists, no particular order and not all.

Couple: W.P. Inman and Ada Monroe
Where they're from: Cold Mountain
Why I love them: For starters, let me just say- Jude Law people. Jude Law. With that being said, I have loved this story for years. Literally, did y'all know that it was a novel that was written six years before the movie was made? Well, it was and I fell in love with it. Then the movie came out and that was it, game over for me. The story of two people falling in love and being separated by war. Both persevering to survive for the other, only to find their way back into each others arms and for one to be tragically taken. Just so you know I called bullshit on the ending, just saying. But this has to be my favorite love story. Hands down. All they want is to live their lives together, but other people are dictating the rules. So they fight and they fight hard.

Couple: Jack Dawson and Rose Dewitt Bukater
Where they're from: Titanic
Why I love them: Oh, come on, like you don't love this movie and story just as much as me. The difference? I'm completely willing to admit it. I don't like that it's a true story as far as the actual ship sinking and all of those people losing their lives, that's just horrible. But the story of Jack, a penniless artist, falling in love with Rose, a ritzy girl, and not caring about the differences between them- well, that my friends is an amazing story. He didn't want her for her money, she didn't want him for his talent, they just wanted each other. They were completely different, but fell in love and were going to run away together. She was willing to give up everything that was expected of her and he was willing to take the risk no matter the cost. Even though he was penniless he did everything that he could and gave all that he had to her. Sad/tragic ending? Of course. Damn James Cameron, But the story lives on. I'll never let go, Leo Jack!!

Couple: Ethan Lawson Wate and Lena Duchannes
Where they're from: Beautiful Creatures
Why I love them: She's got secrets and issues. He's got a sarcastic streak and a twangy drawl. Slap those two together and you have some of the cutest little arguments of all time. Is she a witch? Well, when you say it like that it just sounds bad. It's a classic story. Boy wants out of town. Girl moves to town. Boy pursues girl. Girl resists. For a minute. They finally both give in to their feelings. Their families want to keep them apart. Lena ends up being from a long line of witches that are cursed, because her ancestor's love, that just so happens to be Ethan's ancestor too, died and when she resurrected him out of grief the "dark" claimed her. Ethan tries to save her by being a hero, Lena tries to save Ethan by erasing his memory, but in the end Ethan remembers everything and pulls Lena from the dark. Did they care about themselves or each other more? You decide.

Couple: Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan
Where they're from: A Walk to Remember
Why I love them: You should have known that Nicholas Sparks would have made at least one appearance on my list of favorite love stories. Bet you thought it would be The Notebook though. Nope, although I do like it, it's the story of Landon and Jamie that I love the most. This is one of my favorites, because here you have an overly-popular "cool" guy in school that ends up falling head over heels in love with the goody/mousey preachers daughter. And unlike most preachers daughters, this one really is a good girl. He tries to woo her and she is all- "No. I told you not to fall for me. This is your fault. We can't be together". But finally she gives in to her feelings for him and they start their relationship. The downfall? She has leukemia and is dying. Landon does everything he can to make her happy before she passes away, including marriage, even after she passes away, Landon loves her so much that she lives on.

Couple: Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet
Where they're from: Pride and Prejudice
Why I love them: I think that it's amazing when two people have absolutely no desire to be with someone, they find people intolerable, and when they least expect it love runs up to them and smacks a bitch in the face. I mean that's just great stuff right there. These two crazy kids tried to fight their feelings so much that it came to the point of pretend disdain. They fought the good fight, but you know what they say- you can only put up a fight until it knocks you down. They don't really say that, but I'm hoping one of these days I'll say something and it'll catch on. You never know. These two were actually pretty perfect for each other when it came down to it and I'm so glad that they finally decided to just love with all their hearts instead of running from their feelings.

Couple: Richard, Duke of Gloucester and Lady Anne Neville
Where they're from: The White Queen
Why I love them: Ok, so I'll be the first one to admit that this love story had one of the worst endings of all time. Of. All. Time. She becomes paranoid. He becomes paranoid. He starts to choose the crown over his wife, she starts to become repulsed by him all after the death of their only son. She thinks that he loves another, after she dies he beds that woman. Then he dies on the battlefield. It's all just real horrible. However, all of the stuff leading up to that was magical. They fall in love with each other at a young age, but they can't be together because of their statuses and families. It was all about pre-arranged things back then. Then the man that Anne was forced to marry to gets killed, richard's brother takes her captor and he rescues her and marries her. They are in love and happy. They have a son and their lives are better than anyone elses, because of their love. Then of course party poopers came knocking and ruined it all, but it was so good while it lasted! 

Couple: Peter and Valerie
Where they're from: Red Riding Hood
Why I love them: I'll just go ahead and be perfectly honest about this one. I'm pretty sure that I like this story so much is because it is a childhood story that I used to read all the time and just matured it. Not to mention- Peter. Yeah, Peter is a really pretty guy and there's just something about him that draws you in. They're in love, but have to sneak around because her family doesn't think that he's good enough, and wants her to marry another guy, but like I said they're in love. Now yes, Valerie does get some trust issues going on, but she gets over that. Why? Because even though most will never admit it, a woman loves when a guy saves her life.

Where they're from: The Mortal Instruments
Why I love them: I don't care what you say. This dude is straight up awesome. You know it, I know it, you're just not willing to admit it. Denial, party of one. Before you get all- eww katie that's disgusting, let me explain. Clary's dad lied his ass off. They are NOT brother and sister. So no this doesn't count as some kind of gross thing. These two are great, because when they meet Clary is just a "normal" girl and Jace is a demon hunter and come to find out she is really something different altogether. They learn from each other, protect each other and fall in love. She starts to break down his walls and get in and he makes her stronger with each passing moment. Tell me that's not great and exactly how it's supposed to be.

Where they're from: Tristan and Isolde
Why I love them: Oh, before I knew that James Franco was such a tool. Don't get me wrong that doesn't stop me from loving him, just an observation. She finds him wounded from war and nurses him back to health. She healed him when everyone else had given up on him. Of course their people were enemies go figure so she tells him he has to leave. So what's he do? Return home and convince his king to let him go back to "win him a wife" when really he had every intention of finding Isolde and marrying her. The catch? He accidentally wins Isolde for the king. What are two people to do? Well, according to them you fight your feelings as much and for as long as you can, until you eventually can't take it anymore and begin an affair. Of course he dies in battle and she continues to live on never loving another man. You know how it goes.

Where they're from: Silver Linings Playbook
Why I love them: So they're both a bit crazy. So they're more than a bit crazy. These two are perfect for each other. What can help a bipolar man trying to overcome his disorder and live his life? Well, a woman that's equally neurotic of course. He's getting divorced, she's a young widow, they both are so screwed up and beyond inappropriate that it's ridiculous. And it works. They start this strange friendship to help each other out and by the time it's over with they are madly in love. She's a little nuts, he's got some issues, but it just works.
Where they're from: Atonement
Why I love them: Put this in the ranking with the worst endings ever. These two fell for each other early on, but never really admitted it. Until one day/night they finally gave into their feelings. You would think that would be an amazing thing and it would have been if not for a bratty/jealous little girl that accuses Robbie of crimes he didn't commit. They take him off to prison for years and only agree to let him out if he joins the military. Cecilia leaves it all behind not able to forgive anyone for what they did to Robbie and becomes a nurse. Years later on his leave they meet up and spend time together and remember their love. They trick you into thinking Robbie survives the war and they live happily ever after, but really he died in the war and she died in the tunnel during the war. What the hell? But their love, man did they love each other.

Where they're from: Romeo and Juliet
Why I love them: This is a classic love story, but it's only a good one when it's told this way. Why? Because it's actually only a three day relationship between a 13 year old and a 17 year old that results in 6 deaths. Yeah, I know right? However, when you let Leonardo DiCaprio show all of that emotion to Claire Danes, it takes the story to a whole other level. This dumb story becomes the tale of "star-crossed" lovers that just wanted each other, and because of their feuding families, their love ended with both of their tragic deaths. Told you Leo could tell it a different way.
Where they're from: Keith
Why I love them: Let's get one thing straight. This is an amazing story. Keith decided that he's going to mess with Natalie's whole life. She's the perfect popular valedictorian with everything right in front of her and he's this strange loner kid that stays to himself and doesn't have friends. They begin to form a strange and cooky friendship, that neither one of them expected. The problem? Keith falls for Natalie bad and without realizing it she falls for him to. The issue? Come to find out Keith has cancer and his time is very limited. He tries to push Natalie away so neither of them will get hurt, but she refuses to go and tells him that she's going to stay with him until the end. And she does.

Where they're from: King Arthur
Why I love them: Now hear me out on this one. I know that technically Guinevere is with King Arthur in this and Lancelot is his best friend, but I mean come on. It is so painstakingly obvious that Guin and Lance are in love with each other. They'll never admit it, because of Arthur, but they so did. They were in love. They teased each other, protected each other, defended each other, and Lancelot even died trying to save her. I mean, come on, it was beyond obvious, and that's the real love story here.

Not to mention- Anthony Hope and Lucy Barker, Sutter Keely and Aimee Finecky, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, Dimitri and Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikoleva of Russia, Carl Lucas and Katrina Banks, Leonardo da Vinci and Lucrezia Donati, Jed Eckert and Toni Walsh, Logan Thibault and Beth Green and Westley and Princess Buttercup. Told you there were a lot, and those are just some of the movies. That's not counting the other movies, TV shows and of course my ultimate favorite- Books. Am I a geek? If I am, I don't care. I love it. I have to go now. I would love to just spend the rest of the evening in my sweats, watching Netflix and blogging, but unfortunately I have to get up and get ready to go out for a company function. Uck!! Who wants to put real clothes on and go out on a Saturday night? Oh right, almost every single twenty-something year old in the world. Oops. Oh well, it just might be fun. Who knows? We all may have a really good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment