Friday, March 21, 2014

Was that lady doing some inadvertent recon on me?!!

I was just sitting at work this morning, minding my own business, doing a deposit...and possibly listening to my favorite contestants from season three of The Voice belt out the good stuff. Possibly. That's the only season of The Voice that I've ever watched. I got way to invested in it, and decided that it might be a good time to put down the phone and stop voting, before I started to look like a crackhead running around, screaming at the TV, pacing the floor, holding my breath, and covering my eyes, all out of anticipation. My favorite was- Cody Belew. And Terry and Dez.

{{Just to let y'all know- I got my front six teeth done at the dentist Wednesday!! I love the way they look! I don't have to worry about my smile and when I laugh i don't cover my face. my gums/teeth are still a bit sore (I was there almost three hours and they had to go up in under my gums-when they were done drilling I looked like a character on BrBa.), but I think that it was all worth it. It's been so long since my teeth have been good that now it feels weird when I eat and talk. But I LOVE it. Thank you for your help, Aunt Susi!}} 

{{Did I mention that I started the next to last book of my BB series last night? No? Well, I did. I left off on chapter fourteen and needless to say will be finishing it tonight. It had me laughing, giggling and blushing so bad that I knew if anyone would have seen me, that they would have automatically assumed that I was crazy. Or drunk. Which considering the wine that was involved, that probably isn't far off. I'll blame the blushing on that. Yeah, that's why. It has nothing to do with anything else. Yeah, right.}} 

Sorry, back on topic: Just remember that I am ALWAYS completely oblivious to all things when it comes to guys. I never know when they're flirting, when someone is teasing me about them, or if there is any interest from anyone. Just remember that. I was sitting at work, it was barely even after seven, when a lady came in and started talking to me. She almost startled me, but luckily she was wearing a bright red coat (that I totally want, btw) so I seen her from the other room. I'm always a bit paranoid when I'm in the office alone first thing in the morning. You know, serial killers, and all.

She's a very nice lady. I've met her (I think) twice. Once in the office and once at the retirement party that we had for a guy here a couple of months back. She got to talking to me, and were just going with the flow. We talked about her husband and kids, even her ex-husband, and I talked a bit about my family and how I had moved up here a year and a half ago.

We got on the subject of kids and age. I explained that my brother was older and was dating a woman that was in fact older than him and had five kids. I know, wow. She had asked my age and I told her 24, and how technically I still count that as early twenties and not the mid. She laughed and agreed. I asked about her kids and she told me about her youngest daughter- who sounds adorable, two middle daughters- one of which was in a volleyball tournament this morning, hence the early morning visit, and oldest child- a son.

She got something out of her purse (it looked like the thing Shy has, I think it's called- a tablet, but to be honest I'm not really sure), and continued to talk to me. We laughed and joked around and talked some more. Then she said- "You're awful sweet, a pretty young lady, do you have a boyfriend?" Why is it when someone compliments you that you automatically find it necessary to dance in your head? Or is that just something that I do? Good thing that I don't do it in the open. Unless drinking.


I told her- no. No, that I had dated someone for a couple of years and he was a complete jerk, so I broke up with him and left him behind when I had moved, because he made me completely miserable and I really loathed even the thought of him. Her: "So you haven't dated since?" Me: "No, not since I've been up here. Dani and Tony tease me about it, but I just don't like going out to 'clubs' and I don't have any friends besides my family, so..." Why was I telling her all of this? I have no idea. No idea. My non-filter kicked in and the word vomit just started to flow forth.

She asked me a couple more random questions about what I like to do, and a little about my past. Nothing too personal, just little tid bits here and there. Then she started talking about her kids again. We made some jokes and then she started telling me about her son. Who for some reason I pictured as a tall/jocky seventeen year old. Apparently he had been having some heart problems and just found out yesterday that he was getting better. I told her that, that was awesome and definitely congratulations! I mean, stuff like that is scary. She was all- "Thank you, you are so sweet". Thank you lady that we shall call- Linda. Thank you! Every time that I someone teases me about the way I talk to everyone I meet (in my head) I'm all-


Then this conversation happened, so give me your opinion- Her:"You say you don't have a boyfriend?" Me: "Nope, haven't dated anyone for about a year and a half. Two years? I don't know exactly, but awhile". Her:"You maybe looking for someone?" Me: "I don't know. I try not to put too much thought into it, but if I were to meet somebody that I really liked, then yes I would date them". Her: "What do you like about guys?" Me: "I like to be friends. I think that you should be able to do stuff together and enjoy each others company. That's a tremendous thing". Her: "I completely agree. I think that is very important". Me: "Yeah, you should be yourself and feel comfortable around another person if you're going to date them. I don't usually feel comfortable around people though, so it's a little harder for me".

Seriously, Katie?! Why are you telling her all of this? Shut your face!!

Her: "Have you met anybody that you liked a little?" Me: "No, not really. I mean you usually meet people through your friends or family, growing up, throughout school and college, or at work. Some of the choices from my family scares me, I didn't grow up here, and everybody here at work is related to me or has known me since I was pretty much a baby and they know my entire family". Her: "But you're open to dating if you like them". Me: "Yeah, if I liked them. But guys tend to not really look at me like that, I don't think". Her: "Why is that?" Me: "Well, I'm kind of backwards and I have no filter so I say inappropriate things. Plus, I think that it's appropriate to wear my Muck Boots for everything. Aunt Susi and my other Aunt Mary took me shopping and informed me that this was not true and I had to get "chick" clothes". Her: "You're just adorable". Then she not so casually walked over to me- 


Seriously Katie, SHUT YOUR STUPID FACE!!

She leaned over and showed me a picture on her tablet, or at least what I'm calling a tablet, and was like- "This is my son". Yep, her son. Her son that I had assumed was a tall/lanky/jocky teenage tool. Well, he seemed like he was quite tall, but not at all lanky. Maybe a jock back in the day, but he certainly is not a teenager anymore. Nope. He is a grown man. She just kept looking at me, now that I think about it possibly gauging my reaction, and when I eventually stopped staring at the beautiful specimen man that is her son I looked up at her and simply said: "Aww, he's adorable". I didn't even convince myself that that's all I was thinking, but I smiled and tried to play it cool. P.s. It DID NOT work.


She smiled and started talking casually, and was all- "Yeah he was in the Air Force until we found out about his heart, then he got on honorable discharge. But now that his heart seems to be recovering who knows what he'll do. He's your age, you know".

*swallow* Air Force? As in military? As in guy-in-uniform? *gulp*


Her: "Oh yeah, you know how that goes with young men". Me: "Wow. Um....he must be really smart to have gotten in the Air Force. I'm sure you're really proud of him". Her: "Of course I am. I just feel bad sometimes". Me: "Why is that?" I shouldn't have asked. Because her smile was far too mischievous. Her: "Well, he was dating a girl for a little bit and all she wanted to do was get drunk and hated the fact that his best friend was a girl". Me: "That sounds ridiculous".

Hey, stupid face!! Shut your stupid face's face!!

Her: "Oh, it was". Me: "I've always had more guy friends than girls, and I wouldn't deal with a boyfriend telling me I couldn't see them". Her: "Oh, him either. That's why he is very single right now". Me: "Sounds nice for him". Her: "It is, but we've talked. He wants to find a nice girl to spend time with and have fun with. You know, not just dating, but friends too".

Me: *gulp* "I hope he finds what he's looking for then". Her: "Oh, I'm sure he will. How do you feel about marriage?" Me: *having a slight aneurysm* "Well, honestly, it scares the crap out of me and I have no desire to be married". Her: "Yeah, he's not ready for that kind of thing either. I think someone to just have fun with, hang out with, and just be with would be plenty for him. He was a bit wild throughout college, but he's ready to settle a bit now". Me: "Wild?" Her: "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he could have been the king of beer pong". Me: "Hey! That's a real sport now!" She eyed me speculatively for a second and when I asked her "What?" She said- "That's exactly what my son said when I mentioned it". Oopsy. **insert Danielle walking in**

Thank Bejeebus Dani!! It took you long enough to get here!! Damn. You're early this morning.

They exchanged pleasantries and then Linda said- "Well, I think I better get going and do a little work before I go to my daughter's game". She said good-bye and gave me a little smile and wink before she left. I still wasn't exactly sure what had happened. I sat there confused for a second and finally Dani huffed and was all- "What's wrong with you?" I told her what had been said and that I was confused. She informed me that I was so cute and a complete dinkus at times (Thanks a lot, Dani). So now, I'm just as confused as I was first thing this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment