Saturday, April 12, 2014

How did we communicate before FB?!!

I was going over some old messages from my FB and realized that I talked to people about a little of everything over the years. Our years, that is. I started asking myself- "How did we communicate before FB?" Not to those people who were friends or family, but to the people that had come and gone out of your life, that you loved, but lost touch with.

I remember writing letters to my friends for as long as I can remember. Of course, about the only one I write a letter to anymore is Noodle. And not hardly even to her. When I moved to Tennessee when I was really little I wrote letters to a girl that I used to play with in Indiana all the time. Over the years we lost touch, and have just recently found each other and started talking...via FB.

When I moved from Tennessee to Alabama, and then Florida, I wrote to Rachel all the time. We wrote back and forth a couple of times a week for awhile and then at least a couple of times a month. We talked on the house phone on occasion, but mostly we were all about the letters. We stayed in touch those three years.

I remember getting phone calls from a boy (that shall remain nameless) when I was seventeen/eighteen and when his daddy's name popped up on that screen (I'm old school, but we still had Caller ID...and yes, a house phone- no cell) I would get the dumbest/goofiest smile spread all the way across my face. Or he would just show up and knock on the door.

There were very few of us that had cell phones and if we did they were only for emergency situations. We didn't bother with social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or in my day MySpace. We had other things on our minds. And if we lost touch with someone, guess what? We had to either write them a letter, drive to their house, or never talk to them again. Honestly, with us, there were only so many options when it came to us. We didn't want to have to deal with social media. We were perfectly content with just staying in our own little bubbles. Now, we are all on FB, or Twitter, something. Why? We thought that it was so we could all keep in touch, but after a lot of consideration it's just so we can all spy on each other. Honestly, you know I'm right. That and talk to/find people that you haven't talked to in years. Because, I mean, why not? Right? You never know if you'll reconnect with old friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment