Monday, January 5, 2015

Let's talk numbers. Let's talk all of the numbers.


There are 365 days in a year (366 in a leap year). There are over 7 billion people in the world. And there are 7.99765121 ounces in a cup. Numbers are infinite and possibilities are seemingly endless. Sometimes things seem to be crazy and you think that impossibilities are staring you straight in the face. But if you strip everything down and stare at the bare minimum number, it just doesn't seem as scary. It's almost like if it's in number form you can climb each hill a little bit at a time.

If you think about running a mile it sounds like a major feet. Unless you say there are only 10,000 steps in a mile. So, you walk those 10,000 steps and you're done with it. You eat the salad that is 210 calories instead of the 608 calorie bacon cheeseburger that you really want. That is, until the temptation just gets to be too much and you go ahead and eat the bacon cheeseburger. I mean, why not? Afterall, statistics show that you'll only live 1,044 months in an average lifetime. And that's only if you live the average of 87 years.

You're probably wondering what I'm getting with all of this, right? Well, I'll tell you. I am going absolutely nowhere with this. All of this is simply because a friend of mine said something to me last night that got me thinking. We were talking about when we were in school together and things we have done throughout the years. I jokingly made a comment and she informed me that distance is nothing. It is just simply "one of those things." I thought about this and realized that she was right. Distance is just "one of those things." It means nothing. It's like every other number.

Here are some facts about me: There are 320 pages in my favorite book. 163 words in that damned ole catchy song- Stay With Me, that I can't manage to get out of my head and I belt out at every possible opportunity. I still love the fact that I went to the state championship in 5th grade for the spelling bee and that I graduated Highschool with a 104 in English Honors. There are 480 calories in a bottle of my favorite wine.

And when I was 15 I went through some things that my 40 year old mother made better through her love and a 1 year old puppy that we adopted and has become one of the best friends that I have ever had. I'm 5 foot tall and love with 100% of my heart. I still talk to at least 3 of my friends that I worked with for 5 years and we tease each other as much as possible. Also, there are 2.1 carats in that diamond ring that my Aunt refuses to hand over, because it would look adorable on my tiny little munchkin hand. ;)

Here are some instances: Perhaps your best friend lives 459 miles away from you and pretty soon she will live 650 miles away, because she is following the love of her life from Florida to South Carolina. It seems like she will be closer, but in all reality she will be an extra 191 miles away. She is leaving her life and everything she has known for almost 25 years to be with the guy that she fell in love with 2 years ago. You might have even known the guy that she loves when you were 16 and had 2 classes with him. And you are supportive of her and love her all the same.

Maybe the guy that you're still harboring unresolved/unrequited love for lives 983 miles away and you still can't bring yourself to just admit it and say it out loud, just like all of those years ago, which in turn screwed you over. I mean, what's he gonna do if you tell him, beat you up? Please, like you're scared of him anyways. You know how to take him down.

Maybe your Uncle is going to take 3 days and drive you to Chicago which is 183 miles away. And lastly, maybe your brother was married to a girl for 2.5 years, only for them to separate and him to meet a girl, fall in love, and help her raise 3 of her 5 kids (because the 2 live oldest with their dad 1,053miles away). And now you are flabbergasted to realize that you now have 5 godchildren, 4 nieces, 1 nephew, and your best friend wants 1 (or3) of her own.

Like I said, numbers are infinite. Just like possibilities. I guess we will all see what 2015 brings our way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment