Monday, March 23, 2015

You can't have a Bromance if you're not a Bro

I'm assuming that everyone has heard of the term- Bromance by now. If not then let me explain to you what it is.

Bromance: A close, emotionally-intense, non-sexual bond between two (or more) men. It is an exceptionally tight affectionate, homo social, male bonding relationship that exceeds that of usual friendship, that is distinguished by a particularly high level of emotional intimacy. The emergence of the concept over the past decade has been seen as reflecting a change in societal perception and interest in the theme, with an increasing openness of society in the twenty-first century to reconsider gender, sexuality, and exclusivity constraints.

Basically what I took from that is it's the male equivalent of- Besties. You know, just butched up a bit.

Usually I'm not one to enjoy trendy terms, in fact I usually hate them (Don't ever call me bae or broski. If you do, I may be forced to punch you in the throat.), but I have to say I love this one. In fact, I love it so much that I wanted to be apart of a bromance. I mean, I have guy friends so why couldn't this happen, right? RIGHT?!! I know technically it has to be between two (or more) guys, but I make exceptions for guys when it comes to girl things (go ahead and get that uni-brow waxed) so why can't I be included in this?

I asked an old guy friend of mine if you could have a Bromance if one of the two people was a girl and he told me NO. Which completely threw me off, because I didn't know why not. So, then I tried to plead my case and make him see that a guy and girl could in fact be in a Bromance. And while I hate to admit this (because I feel that I'm right at least 97% of the time), he totally schooled my ass on why that can't (and never can be) an actual thing. (And yes, I keep having to say the word- Bromance, because I love it).


And before you even ask, yes I did scribble out certain things, because people don't need to know everything. I know that I write on this blog about my life in all of its glorious details, but on this one, I'm going to invoke the (semi)privacy rule.

I'm at the very least learning the terms that my generation actually uses. Did y'all know that sismance was a thing? Oh, you did not. Ok, maybe you did, but I sure as hell didn't. I didn't even know that Bromance was a thing until a few years back. I very much thought that it was all just called friends. Because I'm a boring loser like that.

And now I'm still deadlocked, because I still don't know if any of this is correct. I still want to make up a term, even if it doesn't make sense (i.e. Bromance), but not one that in any way puts me in the friend zone. So, not sismance. I don't even like that term. It sounds dumb. Who in the hell wants to be viewed as the girl that's "not hot enough to bang so I'm just going to say that I think of her like a sister" in the first place? And maybe that's not what that means, but it certainly sounds like it is. And everybody else is very whatevs about the whole thing, because honestly I think they enjoy it when I'm going nuts and over-analyzing things. They're probably just sitting there working or hanging out and it randomly pops into their heads and they just laugh. Ass.   

What does everyone else think? Is sismance really a thing or did he just make it up to try and passify me? Wouldn't you want to be in a Bromance with me? Why does Noodle insist on teasing me? Why does anyone find Kim Kardashian and Kanye West awesome and fascinating? I need answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment