Friday, December 11, 2015

I am WAY too invested in fictional characters.

(And I'm ok with it).


I've always been extremely emotionally invested in fictional characters (more so than actual people). But I don't want to talk about any of them (until later) except for- Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler.

Why?! BECAUSE THE SHAMY IS BACK, PEOPLE!!!!!

And when I posted said picture above to capture my excitement, I had a girl on my FB to be all- "I didn't want to see this, because I haven't got to watch this episode yet." And I apologized, but really I thought- "If you don't want a 'spoiler' on any show that you're watching, maybe avoid social media until you watch it." But whatever, even that couldn't bring me down (I'm a jerk)!!

Ever since the last episode of last season (that closed with Amy breaking up with Sheldon, because she wasn't sure they were "going anywhere" and Sheldon being upset, but "understanding" and revealing to a figurine of Smeagol/Gollum that he indeed had an engagement ring for Amy) I have been incredibly sad and not at all that into the new season.

But, I stayed a faithful viewer (I know a lot of people that have quit watching for various reasons) and last night on "S09/Ep10: The Earworm Reverberation" I was rewarded with the why. And the answer to that is- BECAUSE I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW AND THE SHAMY IS REUNITED.

Thank you Beach Boys (and your song- "Darlin").


And while I've still liked the show alright this season, I've just felt that something was missing. Frankly, I just don't like seeing Sheldon upset (in his heart) and I think that's what has been bugging me the most. Jim Parsons just has a way about him to make me love Sheldon (and his quirky habits). And therefore, when Sheldon is sad, I'm sad. Funny, huh?

This episode was the best of the season so far for various reasons, including:

  • Penny's hair couldn't look more amazing right now (and I'm one of the few people that loved her short do) 
  • Sheldon's "descent into madness"
  • Leonard and Penny were at their utmost adorable of over one and a half seasons
  • Footloose references
  • Bernadette giving Amy a "sex talk"
  • SHAMY
  • The metaphors (this is the only show on the planet that can make laundry sound sweet)
  • THE DIALOGUE (it was the best that it's been all season and causes this post to have a lot of "side notes")

And this and that.


I haven't enjoyed an episode this much since "S08/Ep08: The Prom Equivalency." Which coincidentally was another episode that included a big step for Shamy!! (Sheldon admitted that he was in love with Amy..... and she hyperventilated). And I wrote about it, too.

This episode starts with Sheldon recording a self-journal to "future Sheldon" to document his "descent into madness." We find out why a couple of seconds later when it flashes back two days and Leonard calls Sheldon out on humming a song that Sheldon can't place. Why does that make him crazy? According to Sheldon because- "he has an eidetic memory and should be able to remember and place everything." This song being stuck in his head has completely "ruined his life" and screwed up his bathroom habits (which is why his life is ruined and he's not AT ALL dramatic about it).

Side note #1: "Sheldon Cooper's descent into madness day two. It's 2:25 a.m. and I feel the urge to urinate. My normal urination time is 7:10 a.m., but here I am, in the middle of the night, struggling to keep my mind sharp and my pajamas dry. It's only a matter of time before my tenuous grasp on reality fades. I suppose I should pee while I still know what a toilet is". See, not dramatic at all.

Penny and Leonard try to be supportive (and also, poke fun at him over it, because that's just the way all of their friendships work) and Sheldon even self-journals about Leonard and Penny. About Penny he says- "Penny is his friend and if she offers him food, that it's ok to take it..... because he probably paid for it anyways." And a sweet little message about Leonard- "This is Leonard. He's your best friend in the world. Sometimes he gets cranky, but you can trust him with your life. And he does more things for you than I can even begin to list." Which Leonard then thanks him for, because how can you not THAT WAS SO SWEET.


Side note #2:  "Dear Crazy Future Sheldon, this is a thermostat. It controls the temperature of the apartment. The ideal setting is 72 degrees. If you find this too cold, then put on a jacket..... A straitjacket, 'cause 72's the best and you're crazy."

And there was some other stuff happening in the show (filler) that wasn't bad, but wasn't necessarily good either (Raj/Howard storyline, which I usually love, but just didn't impress me this week). But Amy and Bernadette's little talk was funny. Amy had asked Dave out on another date and she informed Bernadette that she was making him dinner. Bernadette revealed to her that this was very intimate, because- "You're inviting him into your home. It's intimate. It's where your underpants live." However, then Bernadette asks her since it would be the first time she's intimate if it's a good idea to do it with a guy that's 6'7 and when Amy seems confused she says- "Because it's like taking your first drivers test in a bus." Subtle Bernadette. Subtle.

Side note #3: Sheldon calls the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame and hums the song to the person who answers the phone. Once they tell him that they have no idea what the song is and he exclaims- "you call yourself the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame?!!" they have a few choice words for him and he drops the line- "Do you sing along with the greatest hits of Elvis Presley with that mouth?!!" Classic.


Blah, Blah, Blah (other story lines)..... Sheldon plays the keyboard in the middle of the night to try and figure out the song and it of course disturbs Leonard and Penny, because they're not "descending into madness." They argue about who's going to go take care of him/it (much like new parents argue over a crying newborn) and eventually Leonard wins. Penny wrestle the keyboard from Sheldon while he screams- "What are you doing?! Why are you SO strong?!!" She comes back to bed triumphant, but it is short lived as Sheldon has bought a tuba and starts playing the song on that instead. HA! You should've known Sheldon would have a back up plan, Penny. Do you not remember when he stole your underwear?!

Side note #4: "Now this is your spot. You're very protective of it. When anyone else tries to sit here, you berate them relentlessly. It sounds mean, but somehow you make it adorable."

Sheldon finally remembers what song is stuck in his head (it's Darlin' by the Beach Boys) while listing off famous scientists and artists who have gone crazy (including: Pythagoras, Bobby Fisher and Brian Wilson- who was a member of the Beach Boys) when he was having dinner with Leonard and Penny (and he's very happy about it, because now he doesn't have to "take a pigeon as his bride!" Because you know- crazy). Then he realizes that the song is about Amy. At least to him. When they ask why he says that- "What he means is that he’s suffered a loss and found art that made that pain, and the joy that preceded it, understandable. He finds art that speaks to him on a deeper level." (Can we all just confirm that it's a big moment for Sheldon?). Penny says that Amy really has "softened his life" to which Sheldon exclaims- "Yes, she's the dryer sheets of his heart!!" and sets off to find Amy.

Side note #5: After he leaves Leonard asks Penny if he too is the "dryer sheets of her heart" to which she replies- "Better. He's the lint trap of her love." You just gotta love this show and its metaphors (like I said, only The Big Bang Theory could make laundry sound sweet).

SPOILER ALERT >>>>> This is going to happen!!!!!

  
Sheldon goes to Amy's apartment (where she's currently having her dumb date with Dave- even though I like Dave, I don't like Amy with anybody except Sheldon) to tell her what he discovered. And then this amazing conversation happened:

***knockknockknock*** Amy..... ***knockknockknock*** Amy..... ***knockknockknock*** Amy.....   Amy: "That's Sheldon." Dave: "Really?! How's my hair?!" (Kidding. Even though that happened, it's not the best part).

Amy: "Sheldon, this- this isn't a good time." Sheldon: "I don't care. Amy, there was a song I couldn't get out of my head. Eventually, I realized the song was about you, and like that earworm, I can't get you out of my heart. So, what I'm trying to say is, you're my heartworm..... The metaphorical kind, not- not the poodle-killing kind."

- Insert Dave for a minute. (Don't worry, he wasn't trying to sabotage anything, he just really wanted to meet his idol..... Sheldon!!).

Sheldon: "I'm- I'm sorry; I didn't realize you were on a date." Amy: "No, it- it..... it's ok. Keep going?" Sheldon: "Amy, if you want to be my girlfriend again, I really want to be your boyfriend." Amy: "I really want that, too." Sheldon: "Good. Because I love you." Amy: "I love you, too." ..... Dave: "Kiss her, you brilliant fool!!" (Am I the only one that laughed hysterical that Dave didn't even care that Sheldon wanted Amy back, because he idolizes Sheldon so much? Even he is Team Shamy!!).  

And he does (very passionately, might I add- like, full blown makeout) and he tells her that he'll let her get back to her date and goes to walk out and she pulls him back in and says- "come here" and they continue to kiss.

And next weeks preview (plus, spoilers, because I don't mind them) shows Penny and Bernadette telling Amy that Sheldon's ready to "be intimate" and she freaks out and he freaks out and then they..... you know..... deal with it together. Also, it's Amy's birthday and the new Star Wars movie (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) comes out that day!! So, I reckon that means that three awesome things are happening on next weeks episode!!

Side note #6: I just found out that this episode was the four year anniversary of "S05/Ep 10: The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition" when Sheldon interrupted Amy's date with Stuart and asks her to be his girlfriend. (Also, it's the second time Sheldon interrupts Amy's date to advance their relationship and Amy never minds the interruption..... but I already knew that one).

I will forever love (and be)- #TeamShamy

No comments:

Post a Comment