Thursday, April 21, 2016

Opening Day.

(No, I didn't join an athletic team).


This past Saturday was Solaes first official softball game. You know, the first one from this season. She's no longer playing at the field that she did last year (thank everything that is holy, because that place sucked), but instead has joined a new league. And her team name? The Kentucky Wildcats. I know, I never would've guessed that would happen either.

Read here for more Softball escapades. 

But she seems very happy with her decision and is enjoying the game a lot more this season. I think it's mostly, because she's more comfortable and confident this go around. I can't believe that she's growing up so fast. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was carrying her around and I was slipping her candy (don't tell her mother). And now, she's twelve and completely outgrew me at least 2.5 years ago. TWELVE. Luckily for her, she can still look at me with those big ole cow eyes of hers and she usually gets what she wants just like she did when she was little.

The games are supposed to last around 1 hour and 45 minutes (according to what her mother told us last night) and in that time she managed to make a few good plays, she seems to be friends with a couple of her teammates, and she slid into home base!! You might not think that's a big deal considering a lot of people slide in softball/baseball, but trust me when I say that her doing it is a big deal.

Her team brought home the win: 17-10. And let me tell you, she couldn't have been happier. The only thing that bothered her was the fact that she made one swing that was so low to the ground it looked like they were trying to play kickball or something. But she of course missed (shitty pitch) and her mother got all up in her grill about it.

Don't worry, when we got into the truck, I made sure to tell her that she is still new to all of this (the people from the softball season last year didn't teach anybody anything; they really do suck), and shit happens. She'll have another chance, even the greats have swung at pitches that they shouldn't have and they're just fine. It happens. She seemed to feel much better after our talk, and she hugged me extremely tight. I didn't mind.

Her mother also got hit in the head/face with a softball and nobody even bothered to shout out a "heads up" or "sorry." I think that might be part of the reason that she was so grumpy. That, and the fact she had to work in the concession stand for two hours. And it's not like they tricked or anything, it's just that each child has to have one person work the concession stand for them for two hours or they get benched the next game (that is totally unfair). She kept trying to talk me into doing it, but I told her it wasn't going to kill her or anything, she was going to be perfectly fine. I don't think she believed me though, because she mean mugged me and  told me I sucked. I'm good with it though.

She's supposed to have her second game tonight, but with all of this rain, I don't know if that is going to happen. It's been coming down since at least two this morning and is supposed to keep on all day/ evening. I guess we shall see. Wish us (mostly her) luck.   

No comments:

Post a Comment