Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I'll get around to watching all of these shows.... eventually.

It's not that I don't want to watch them (I do), but rather, haven't had the opportunity.

I keep meaning to watch certain shows, but then I'm prevented by not having the right channels, or being at a stand still, or just basically forgetting until I see something about one of them and I'm like- "oh yeah."

However, I am a list maker.... it's a kind of OCD tendency that runs with the women in my family. We're not exactly organized in any part of our lives (like, at all), but we ALL LOVE making and having lists. We don't even care what kinds of lists they are, and we usually have one for every aspect and area of life that you could imagine. And our lists aren't in any order, lord no, but instead sprawled out just like every other area of our lives. And some of mine include tv series to watch and books to read.


The Walking Dead

Synopsis: When Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes awakens from a coma after being shot, he discovers that his world has been completely turned upside down by a zombie apocalypse. As the flesh-eating undead walk the streets looking for the living (human or animal) to feed on, Rick and his group must constantly be on guard in order to stay alive.

My thoughts: I've been a "hit watcher" when it's come to this show, meaning that I've seen certain episodes all the way through, and know the main plot points (i.e. major character deaths and villains), but have never been what you would call a "consistent watcher." Apparently it's a bad time to start though, because the seventh season premiered last Sunday and people are totally traumatized from the **spoiler alert** fact that Glen Rhee was killed. Am I the only one that's gonna miss Abraham Ford and still likes Daryl Dixon?! Tough crowd.


Breaking Bad

Synopsis: When chemistry teacher Walter White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given only two years to live, leaving behind his teenage son, who has cerebral palsy, and his wife, he is determined to ensure that his family will have a secure future. He embarks on a career of drugs and crime, proving to be remarkably proficient in this new world as he begins manufacturing and selling methamphetamine with one of his former students.

My thoughts: Look, if it wasn't for the pure love that I have for Aaron Paul, I might not have ever watched this show. Don't get me wrong, I've watched parts of it (and the entire first season), but just like the Walking Dead, have been a "switch hitter" with this one as well. It's easy to get into (and I only started watching it for Aaron Paul, but learned that there were many more amazing qualities), but ** spoiler alert** watching Jane OD and Jesse spiral? It's a lot for the little heart to take.


The Man in the High Castle

Synopsis: Based on a novel by Phillip Dick, the story reflects a dystopian world based on the idea that the Axis won World War II instead of the Allies with the former United States under Nazi and Japanese control.

My thoughts: Y'all can't honestly tell me that you don't have small obsessions.... or big obsessions. You know, whatever floats your boat and keeps the crap out of your cheerios. Mine happens to be documentaries about WWII/The Holocaust. And it's not because I like seeing/knowing what happened in those horrible times, but it's a major piece of history, and I feel like it's something that needs to be known. As with most things, there's always a "what if" factor and this show explores the "what if the opposite outcome would have been" aspect. As soon as I get Amazon Prime, man.



Vikings

Synopsis: The adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok: the greatest hero of his age. The series tells the saga of Ragnar's band of Viking brothers and his family as he rises to become King of the Viking tribes. As well as being a fearless warrior, Ragnar embodies the Norse traditions of devotion to the gods: legend has it that he was a direct descendant of Odin, the god of war and warriors.

My thoughts: As you can probably tell, I'm a sucker for history. Anyone who has ever read about Norse mythology or Viking legends has undoubtedly heard of Ragnar Lothbrok.... and most likely his first wife (t-total badass, Lagertha), and one of his many sons (Ivar, Bjorn, etc.). This show lets you explore that kind of thing (taking liberties, of course) while still being entertaining. I watched/own the first season (dvd) and plan on following up with the others. Why? Because it's awesome and I haven't even gotten to the seasons with Alexander Ludwig (hello!) yet, that's why.


Outlander

Synopsis: The story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate relationship is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

My thoughts: I don't have the Starz movie channel (movie channels are hella expensive, amirite?!), but I'm pretty sure that you can buy the dvds (it would be nice if they offered that with TMITHC.... just saying). The show is based off of the book series with the same name by Diana Gabaldon, and I actually own the entire series. My highschool English teacher brought them to my attention (she thought it was something that I would like) , and I've read the first book twice. Besides, Scotsmen, Highland countryside unphased by modern technology, and old world medicine tactics?! SOLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment