Friday, December 30, 2016

My top rated movie picks- 2016.

Y'all it's currently the last Friday of 2016 and tomorrow is the last day of 2016 ALL TOGETHER. I should probably write something inspirational or loving.... but let's be honest, I have a lot on my mind right now (more on that at a later date). So instead, I have decided to write about something that I know and know well (in my own opinion).... movies.

Because my opinion matters (no it doesn't) and I have things to say. Mostly though, it may not even be movies that came out in 2016, but rather, movies that I've just randomly watched (Netflix options, included.).

First things first, do you know how hard it is to remember movies and when exactly you watched them? Age is not doing me or my memory function any favors.... it's a good thing that I document most things on Instagram these days.

Moving on. I watch a lot of tv/movies/documentaries (#noregrets), so when talking about them I have to section them off so I don't get too confused.... don't even get me started on the Amanda Knox documentary. On occasion though, you watch something and by the end you're usually somewhere between "that was great" and "what in the hell was that?!".... you know, like hearing a guy talk about losing his virginity (it was better in the movie.... you are NOT the Graduate).


The Hateful Eight

Synopsis: Wyoming in the 1870s…. a stagecoach is heading towards the town of Red Rock with two passengers onboard. One is John "Hangman" Ruth, a celebrated bounty hunter, the other is Daisy Domergue, his prisoner (who is wanted for murder). Along the way they pick up another bounty hunter, Major Marquis Warren, and Chris Mannix. Due to a blizzard, they are forced to hole up in a store out of town with the occupants of another stagecoach. Suspicions commence and Civil War enmities are reawakened.

My thoughts: The only reason that I had originally intended on watching this one was because of none other than- Walton Goggins. The man is a genius and once you add heavyweights like Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson.... you're in for a treat. Not to mention, you just can't help but to stare at Walton Goggins teeth.... I know that sounds weird, but watch him in anything and you'll understand what I'm saying.

The Shallows

Synopsis: When medical student Nancy is surfing on a secluded beach, shortly after the death of her mother, she finds herself on the feeding ground of a great white shark. Though she is stranded only 200 yards from shore, survival proves to be the ultimate test of wills, requiring all of Nancy's ingenuity, resourcefulness, and fortitude.

My thoughts: I was so worried about Steven in this film. From that synopsis you may be asking yourself "who in the hell is Steven?" and the answer to that is he's the seagull (get it? Steven "Seagull"- haha) that is stranded on the rocks with Nancy. My mother didn't care for this movie, but I really enjoyed it.... watching Blake Lively sew her leg together with a blunt necklace was worth the Redbox rental fee all on its own.

Ghostbusters (the remake)

Synopsis: Two paranormal researchers, join forces with a nuclear engineer, and a subway attendant to fight off a slew of ghosts that have invaded New York City with the assistance of their hunky receptionist. Eventually, they come face-to-face with an evil entity that can control human beings.

My thoughts: I'll just go ahead and say what will get me disowned by half of my cousins (whatever, I've been trying to get rid of some of you for years), I loved this remake. Not only did I love it, but I actually think that it far surpasses the original and I would totally watch it again. To the people who didn't watch it solely based on the fact that it has a female led cast, y'all can suck it, you're missing out. The hilarity of Kate McKinnon and ditz of Chris Hemsworth is priceless.

Me Before You

Synopsis: Adapted from the bestselling novel by Jo Jo Moyes, it tells the story of the unexpected relationship that blossoms between a contented small town Englishwoman and the wealthy, paralyzed Londoner who hires her as his caretaker.

My thoughts: They should have just named this movie "Make Katie cry all of the tears." I haven't cried that hard watching a movie since The Fault in Our Stars.... and I'll completely admit it. I didn't just cry at the end, I cried the entire time. There was a lot of controversy surrounding this film, but I watched it for myself to form my own opinion. And my opinion? Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin can bring both joy and heartbreak to your life within a few minutes.

Exeter

Synopsis: During a party in an abandoned asylum, teenagers perform an occult ritual that leads to a violent possession. After they become trapped in the building, they try to uncover the asylum's dark past to survive.

My thoughts: I caught this one on Netflix and was completely blown away by its creep factor. Most possession movies are the same, and while I like them, been there/seen that. This one was.... different. Don't get me wrong, you can still call out the "gotcha" moment and it's a bit corny here and there, but when I took Tayder out after the movie was over? I was creeped out and hearing all kinds of weird sounds.

The Debt

Synopsis: The espionage thriller begins in 1997, as shocking news reaches retired Mossad secret agents Rachel and Stefan about their former colleague, David…. all three have been venerated for decades by their country because of the mission that they undertook back in 1965, when the trio tracked down Nazi war criminal, Vogel, in East Berlin. At great risk, and at considerable personal cost, the team's mission was accomplished - or was it? The suspense builds in and across two different time periods, with startling action and surprising revelations.

My thoughts: The fact that they managed to have such an amazing cast not only portray the older agents, but also the same characters at a younger age is truly amazing. How is this movie not a bigger deal? Another one I happened to just "run across" via Netflix, it is an amazing watch and the depth that Sam Worthington and Jessica Chastain reach is epic. Plus, Helen Mirren? YES. There were many twists and turns and even though you know the "ending" at the beginning you're still rooting for a different outcome.

Burying the Ex

Synopsis: It seemed like a great idea when all-around nice guy Max and his beautiful girlfriend, Evelyn moved in together. But when Evelyn turns out to be a controlling, manipulative nightmare, Max knows it's time to call it quits. There's just one problem: he's terrified of breaking up with her. Fate steps in when Evelyn is the victim of a fatal, freak accident, leaving Max single and ready to mingle. Just as Max is thinking about moving on with what could be his dream girl, Olivia, Evelyn has returned from the grave and is determined to get her boyfriend back...even if that means transforming him into one of the undead.

My thoughts: {{First things first, RIP Anton Yelchin. He was one of my favorite young actors and his death is beyond tragic.}}. This movie is hilarious.... not a traditional "zombie" or "possession" movie, but something all on its own. I love the couple of Anton Yelchin and Alexandra Daddario- the fact that Ashley Greene is a psycho and Oliver Cooper is the sidekick makes it all the much better. You can thank Netflix for this one as well, I know I do.

..............

Honorable mentions: Creed, Point Break (the remake), Now You See Me 2, Central Intelligence, Deadpool, Huntsman: Winter's War, London Has Fallen, and A Million Way To Die in the West. I can't wait to see what 2017 holds for my movie madness self.

No comments:

Post a Comment