Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ricardo has to go to the doctor and I won't get him back until tomorrow.

I received a letter (letter? notice?) in the mail telling me that Ricardo has a recall and I have to have him serviced immediately.

Which sounds kind of dirty, but I swear isn't. You see, my little Ricardo was born in 2011 and while he's a trooper, there was a mistake made with the seal on his Battery Junction Box (BJB), allowing debris and water into it.... causing corrosion.

And that's a problem, because apparently this little mistake can cause side effects of: loss of function of exterior lights, vehicle stall, vehicle no start, and loss of function of interior lights. All of which I need. Therefore, Ricardo has to go into the doctor (ie- shop) for repair.

I tried to get this handled last weekend.... completely willing to give up my Saturday by sitting in a shop/dealership awaiting his safe repair and return, but alas, it was not meant to be. You see, in order to have the repair done with no cost to me (because it's their mistake and people shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for it!), he has to go to a Ford Dealership.... which is handy, because Uncle D gave me his guy that takes care of their truck. BUT the dealership/shop doesn't do those kinds of repairs on weekends, because they don't have the staff.... and for various other reasons that I didn't 100% hear, because I was freaking out about not having my car.

Side note: What are the odds that those nice men will also clean the inside of Ricardo while he's hanging out for repair? Like, I cleaned him up all nice and pretty before winter hit hard.... but now he's a little dusty and could use a good vacuum. Honestly though, I don't see the point in trying to keep him "cleaned out" while in the depths of winter though. (And by "cleaned out" I mean I don't have him full of trash or anything like that, but the wetness + ice salt + muddy/wet boots + winter in general just isn't friendly to a "clean" car.).

It's also not a "huge" repair, but is time consuming, so they'll have to have Ricardo for a full day. ONE. FULL. DAY. Are you hearing me on this? Since I work towards downtown and come in at 6:30am and the dealership doesn't open until 8:00am (and is twenty to twenty-five minutes away) I have to drop Ricardo off after work today and I won't be able to pick him up until tomorrow after work. Meaning I won't have him for about 24 HOURS. And my anxiety is not having this shit.

Lucky for me, Aunt Poot agreed to follow me down to give me a ride home this evening and take me back tomorrow for pickup.... and my brother is going to be getting up on his day off at 6:00am to bring me to work tomorrow (against his will).

While they have Ricardo for his recall repair, I'm gonna go ahead and have them change his oil, check the fluids, and rotate the tires (I think they call it "the works"?) too. Might as well, right? No sense of them having him for a full day for a repair and then having to take him back in for the oil change (it's a little overdue) and whatnot an entirely separate day.

And to be honest, Ricardo deserves a little pampering. Afterall, he's dealt with me learning how to "redrive" after all of those years I was too scared to.... he's been patient, understanding, and has held his own through the process. From the beginning of easing everywhere slow and being 100% unsure of myself to now where I am comfortable (for the most part) and drive a tad-bit crazy (like I used to before I got scared).

He truly is a champ and I love him.... a champ, that has a flaw in his "junk" (junction box). Then again, don't we all?!!?!

UPDATE: Ricardo's stay at the doctor (aka- shop) has been postponed to a later date.... the flu is a nasty little creature that seems to be making its way through a little bit of everybody for the past two months. Therefore, this little "trip" will have to wait a week or two. Hopefully, not longer than that, but you never know.... we just take every situation as it presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment