Monday, February 26, 2018

Thinking about making a drastic change to your hair.... without a breakup.

There is no doubt about women (or at the very least, women in my life) making drastic changes to their hair when they are going through some sort of "crisis." Whether that crisis be legitimate or a "crisis" as in a breakup.

Random guy: "That girl is in love with me. I can do whatever I want and she'll always take me back like that." ME: "Dude, let that girl change her hairstyle after y'all break up.... YOU AIN'T GETTING HER BACK."

But, what do you do when you want to make a drastic change to your hair.... even though you're not "going through a breakup"?


There's no question in the fact that I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. It's crazy more often than not and I have done so much with it in the way of cutting/dying/etc that I'm truly surprised that it hasn't abandoned ship at this point. For better or worse my hair has generally stayed in the "medium length" category for the majority of my life, getting shorter at times and longer at others, but generally medium.

Right now, my hair is long. I've been letting it grow for the last few years and there's no color in it at this point. This is literally the most natural my hair has been since I was twelve years old (yes, I started experimenting with it young and no, I don't regret it). It's long and curly and a sandy blonde/light brown color.... which was surprising to me, because I forgot how much natural blonde my hair had in it.

Usually when I get my hair cut short (and by short I mean "shorter") I hate it, because I always think to myself:

"I am way less attractive with shorter hair.... I look like a boy.... I look old.... I look fatter.... blah. blah. blah."

But, I'm twenty-eight now. And with twenty-eight I would like to say that I've developed a type of.... how should I say this? I've developed a whole "I don't give a single f*ck" kind of attitude. Which is hilarious, because that's generally my entire attitude and I didn't think it could get progressively worse, and yet, HERE WE ARE WITH IT.

I just don't care. I don't care if people don't think I'm pretty. And I don't care if people don't like the way I look. Furthermore, I want to be able to be comfortable in my own "skin", regardless of the way my "skin" does in fact look. Why do I have the thought that in order to be considered "feminine" that I have to have long hair? Why can't I just feel that way regardless of what's on top of my head? (And let's be real, it's not like I ever wear it down or "style" it in the first place).

I don't want to feel like I have to have my hair to "hide behind" as a type of security blanket.

Frankly, I want to feel like I can rock some short hair like Lily Collins, Emma Fitzpatrick, and Lauren Cohan. Who's with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment