Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Fried Green Tomatoes.... and yes, that's an acceptable meal. *yummy*

Most people that know me (or at least, know me well) knows that I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes. The food and the movie.... and probably the book. Fannie Flagg knew what was up and knew that I needed Idgie Threadgoode to guide me.

There's nothing that happens in my life to where I don't question how Idgie Threadgoode would handle it. A kind of "WWID" type of situation. Luckily for me, Idgie was just about as dramatic as I am and we relate to each other in alot of ways. (And I say "we" but mostly I just relate to her!).

I often find myself quoting the movie (Towanda!!) and the fact that Idgie made me feel like it was ok to be a "tomboy" has bleed through to my entire life. Did Idgie care what people thought about her hair or clothes? Hell no. Do I care? F*ck that. We are both comfort and practicality over fashion and expectations.

Speaking of quotes, I also call Momma my "bee charmer" and if you've never seen the movie, that won't make any sense to you.

I don't remember how old I was the first time I watched the movie, but I know I cried (no matter how many times I watch it, it always makes me cry), and laughed uncontrollably.

And with it being one of my all time favorites ever (and that's saying something, because I watch/love a bunch of movies.... the 90s were just a good time for film and if anybody tries to tell you any differently.... get rid of them), it had been FAR too long since I had gave it a go.

Having realized this, I knew that I had to make it right and found my DVD copy to pop in (and then realized that I must love this movie, because I own three copies of it.... quit judging me). And just to let you know, it's just as amazing as what I remembered.

"Why did you go with Idgie Threadgoode?" "Because she.... she's the best friend I ever had, and I love her."

No comments:

Post a Comment