Friday, April 9, 2021

If somebody else had my voice.... I would hate them.

Have y'all ever listened to your own voice on recording? Like, legit, never heard your own voice and then you hear it on a video from someone's phone or something and it completely blows your mind? No? Just me? Alrighty then....

I've always had problems with my ears/hearing. I'm not sure what the problem stems from (#growinguppoorwedidntgotothedocoften), but the fact that it has always been a factor in my life is forever real. Sure, it's been a problem in the past and it still is from time to time, but I accepted long ago that I'll probably have to have hearing aids or some form of help earlier in my life than alot of people.

And I'm ok with that. I accepted it long ago. Not to mention, between my inability to hear and my penchant for zoning out of most conversations and not even recognizing others, let's just say life can and will be peaceful.

But, with all random things, I found myself in complete bafflement when I heard my own voice on D's phone. To me, my voice sounds fairly deep and I don't have an accent at all. Like, NOT ONE BIT. However, that is apparently not the case. You see, when we were in Florida, we spent a few days at D's dad's house and we shot off fireworks and ammo. And let me tell you, D was so excited to see me shooting rifles that he immediately started filming.

Don't get me wrong, I've shot plenty of guns in my day, after all I used to hunt growing up living in Tennessee, but I haven't shot anything other than a handgun (at a range) for many years. So, D had never seen it. (But now that he has, I'm convinced that the whole "guns and ammo" centerfolds are necessary, because the dude loved it).

What I didn't expect though, was to hear my own voice talking to his dad in the video and me being completely flabbergasted at the fact that I sound.... like a straight up high pitched hick. 

I mean, I've always known I was a hillbilly. Once you grow up that way and it's engrained into your bones and soul, there's no going back. But, I didn't realize how thick my accent still is. As in, it's not going anywhere. My voice is much higher pitched than I could tell.... almost like I'm secretly calling dogs to me like a special whistle (maybe I am, you don't know my life!) and my accent is STRONG and THICK.

I know that sounded dirty, but try to refrain yourself. 

No one could believe that I didn't know I actually sounded like that, and when I told some of the guys at work that I didn't realize I had an accent they all slowly turned to look at me dead in the face with a "are you f*cking serious?" look on their faces. It was quite comical to say the least.

The look on my face the first time I heard my own voice had to have been priceless and when I cringed and shut my face behind my hands in embarrassment and asked D if I truly sounded like that, he just laughed and insisted that yes I did in fact sound like that ALL THE TIME. He claims that it's cute and it's one of his very favorite things about me (and that all of his family also adores the holler coming out with my words), but I'm still debating on whether or not he truly does love it and thinks it's adorable, or he's trying to placate me and not be my costar on an episode of Snapped.

The jury is still out on that one.

Either way, it's my voice and while it might not be all that appealing and it is in fact a tad bit embarrassing, I have lived with it my entire life and I'm always immensely proud to have been raised in the middle of nowhere surrounded by good people and no matter where I go, a little piece of my roots is forever with me every time I open my mouth to say a few words.

No comments:

Post a Comment