Monday, August 8, 2022

This opportunity may be too good to pass up.

I feel like I should start off by saying that I am an avid horror fan. Everyone that's ever met me knows this and I make it a point to be surrounded by the creepy more often than not. Call it what you will, but I just call it my thing. I'm not morbid or anything like that (probably?), but you would not believe some of the shit I actually believe in.

Demons, ghosts, witchcraft, exorcisms... the list goes on. But, stops shortly before unicorns, because apparently that's where my ridiculous mind draws the line? Yes, I believe people can practice and cast with voodoo, but not in a horse with a horn growing out of his head that shits glitter and rainbows.

I know, I know.

It's a little bit ridiculous, but honestly, I gave up trying to understand my mind long ago and instead decided to embrace it to its fullest extent. Eccentricism, outlandishness, quirks and all. I just let it do its own thing.

While my husband adores the fact that I'm a tad insane (life would be boring without it, right?), he absolutely does not like horror. As in, can't stand it and absolutely hates watching anything associated with it. I didn't know this about him until after we were married, because he's always watched things like that with me in the past.

He informed me it was because he was trying to get and/or keep me, and that he enjoyed watching me enjoy it so much. But, now that we're married, he is far more vocal about his distaste for such things. Not that that stops me from watching or him from joining me, but he also doesn't let me forget how much he hates it the entire time.

And I do mean the ENTIRE time.

While I try not to make him watch too much crazy with me I would be lying if I said sometimes I am just in one of my moods and need a little horror movie in my life so I pop it on in any event. He grumbles his displeasure, but eventually gets sucked in and is just as invested as me.

Honestly, I don't think he detests horror as much as he claims too. Except possessed children. You know, like the Exorcist? Yeah, he definitely hates those as much as he insists he does. But, the rest? Not so much, Like, he'll watch Halloween with me and American Horror Story (although not nearly as invested in it as I am), but if you put a kid on that screen that is cracking all weird and eyes/mouth is acting all demonic? Forget it, he's averting his eyes and moving on like it never happened.

Essentially the same thing I would do if I saw something like that in real life. Because ignorance is bliss and I ain't trying to get haunted for eternity.

Every now and then though, he'll voluntarily watch an actual horror movie with me. He knows from the start and will just accept that he's going to be spending the rest of his life with a nutcase and rolls with it. Honestly, it's just one more thing on the long list of why I adore and love him.

During moments like this, I try to take advantage of the opportunity without actually trying to take advantage of his kindness. I figure if he's good enough to watch something he "hates" with me, the least I can do is find something that won't be absolutely terrifying. (I save those for when it's just me and the pups).

Usually, it's some form of slasher flick, but I learned a few weeks ago that there's one horror movie in particular that he's never seen and/or heard of and I immediately wanted to sit him down right next to me and watch him watch it. 

You may be wondering what movie that is and let me tell you... The Mist.

YES. "That" Stephen King movie with the distressing ending that people are always on the fence about.

He not only has never seen it, but knows absolutely nothing about it and I have literally never in my life met anyone that knows utterly nothing about this book/movie, so to say I was floored would be an understatement. This would be my very first opportunity to see someone's legitimate reaction to this movie. In fact, I may never get this chance again.

With that being said, I think I have to figure out a way to watch this with him as soon as possible before my excitement gets the best of me and he feels the need to Google about it and spoil all the fun. I'm almost 100% sure I know what his reaction is going to be, but I still can't wait to see it. 

UPDATE: So... we watched the movie. And apparently I had never seen it before in my life. I had seen the last like twenty minutes of it, but never the movie in its entirety. We were a good fifteen or so minutes in before I realized this, but by that time we were invested. And let me just say, it did not disappoint and I'm super happy we watched it for the first time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment