Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Tennessee girl living in an Indiana world.

Anyone that knows me knows that I love Tennessee. That's where I was raised for the majority of my childhood and over half of my adult life (you know, thus far). However, I was born in Indiana and I live here now. Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking- "Well Katie, if you love Tennessee so much, why would you leave it?" And that's a very valid question. The answer is simple. The answer is- I needed a change. I was in a very bad place in my life and I needed to remove myself from it. I just needed to leave. So, I did. I was already on leave from work so I wrote my letter of resignation and turned it in, I broke up with my awful boyfriend, I said goodbye to some of the best friends that I had ever known, and my mother and I packed everything that we owned in less than twelve hours, my cousin and two uncles drove down to help us load up, and by the the next morning we had packed the truck and were gone. Yeah, it was that fast.


As we were driving out of the town that I grew up in and will always consider my home, I looked around and for the first time in a very long time. I looked at everything completely different. It was no longer the place where I felt suffocated and sad. As we drove through it I rolled my window down and looked around at all of the things that I had once loved.

I drove by the park that my friends and I had snuck down to when we were fifteen so that we could hang out and be away. I drove by the station that wouldn't seem like much, but that had provided me sustenance, because I was working such long hours that without their Dr. Pepper, sausage biscuits and energy coffee I may have never made it. I drove by the hill that climbs to the school that holds so many memories.

The memories of the football games that I would go to every Friday night to cheer my brother and our friends on, and yes we went to every single game no matter how far we had to drive to get there. It holds the memory of one of my favorite teachers that not only taught me about economics, but also taught me about life and how to jump into something without fear. It holds the memory of my first kiss and the first time that the boy that I liked, but was to shy to tell, grabbed my hand and held it. It's where we had all of those fun and hilarious field days, it's where I learned the words to- Froggy went a Courtin, and where I fought with a little boy in third grade for pulling my pigtails. He pulled my pigtails, I pulled his ears. Fair is fair. I drove by the nursing home that I worked at for five years and pretty much learned so many things about life. I learned from the people that I took care of, the ones that I worked with, and even from myself in those five years there. When I started I thought that it was just going to be a job, but I very soon realized that it was so much more than that. While there I laughed, cried, lost, gained, and grew up. Even though I had been working for about four years before I started there, I was still a kid and realized very quickly that in order to be able to deal with what you have to you have to grow up. So I did. I've always been told that I'm an old soul, and I believed it after I started there.

I tell all of you this, because I want you to know about the town that I was raised in. The one that I don't live in anymore, but will forever be considered my home. In my heart, I will always be a small town girl that grew up in a little podunk town. In the middle of Tennessee. I will always be the girl that was chased out of the church, because she laughed at the preacher for talking about whores in Gomorrah. I will always be the girl that talks a little hicky with a change. I will always be the girl that chooses boots over heels. I will always be the girl that talks too loud and speaks her mind, because she has absolutely no filter. I will always be the girl that prefers to be called by her full first name, but still introduces herself as Katie. And I will always be the girl that jumps up into trucks that are far too tall. In other words, just because I've changed states doesn't mean that I changed myself. {I've also lived in Alabama and Florida}.

But now, where am I? Well, I'm in my birth state. I'm in Indiana.


I'm not exactly sure what to tell you about this state or city that I live in. I was born here, but moved when I was still a very little girl. In case you're wondering, because apparently I got off subject up there {I'd say that I was sorry, but we all know that I'm not} I live in Indianapolis. Why did I decide to move here when I left Tennessee? Well, like I said- I was born here. My family is here. I moved here to be around them and to change the surroundings that I had. I wanted to get away from certain people. I succeeded. I'm not a very big city girl, so I can't tell you a million different places to go and things to do. I don't know what you just have to see when you come. So, I will tell you what I know and think that you should do if you were ever to come here. Sorry, I know that there are more, but I just ate lunch and now I'm sleepy and want icecream.

  • You must go to Las Margaritas in Fountain Square, have a beer, and eat their guacamole. It's the best thing- ever!
  • You can go downtown to see our Batman building (Batman is afterall the best superhero, you know, along with Captain America). And if you're here in the winter for some reason, you should go down town to see the Lights on the Circle and perhaps take a carriage ride around to see all of the other lights. They're all usually very pretty. 
  • Take a trip to the Brickyard. Not only do we have the Indy 500, but you can catch a race and some awesome performers too. Here in a few weeks Brantley Gilbert, The Band Perry, and many others are coming.
  • If you're not a hater, and you're here in the summer you should go to Pride. It's one of the biggest pride festivals in the country and it really is something amazing to see.
  • Also, if you come in warm weather you should check out all of the outdoor concerts that we have here. We have many amazing bands and performers to come and let's face it, who doesn't love listening to some awesome music? Jamey Johnson and Lynard Skynard on the 31st of this month!
  • We have Gencon. That is all. (Also, check out one of our museums and aquariums).
  • If you come during football season? Definitely go to the stadium and check out how many Colts fans there are. You have never seen so much blue in your life! People actually paint themselves blue. It's great. It's like having 800 football crazed smurfs running around. Even though I'm very much a Steelers kind of girl, it is all fun to see.
  • Go to Ritter's and eat some of their frozen custard. Immediately. Like, as soon as you get here.
  • Also, go to Watermans Pumpkin Patch. It's a little bit outside of Indianapolis, but if you like pumpkin picking, hayrides, walking tacos, and karaoke, it's your kind of place.     
  • Holler at me if you're ever headed this way. I'm sure that I'll be able to think of a few more things that I can't right now for you to do! 
Linking with Juliette, Faith, and Allie.

No comments:

Post a Comment