Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I just have so many questions. Seriously, SO many.

I was browsing through the news after exiting my email yesterday and came across a story that I just couldn't look away from. I don't know if everyone has heard this story or not, but for those of you that haven't let me just tell you a little bit about it.

There was a woman that gave birth in her car, while lost in the California wilderness for three days, and lived off of some apples, a soda and a little water. Now, I don't know about you, but the more that I read this story, the more intrigued I became.

Also, the more questions that I have.


A little brief summary of what happened would be: A 35 year old woman started having contractions, decided to drive to her parents house for help. Upon making this decision she followed it by making the decision to take a "back road" in the wilderness for a "shortcut" that she herself had never taken, but had been told about and shown in passing. Soon, she was lost, without cell phone service and her car ran out of gas. While all of this was happening, let's not forget that the woman is in labor and must lay down in the backseat of her car and deliver her baby alone without any medical assistance or pain medication. She then preceded to wait to cut the umbilical cord and started fighting off mosquitoes and bees that were after her placenta. After three days of "roughing it" with her newborn baby, she decided to start a small wildfire to draw attention to their whereabouts and hopefully attract help. Her plan worked. At least the last part.

Now, while all of this is well and good with a happy ending, I just have to say that I am so very happy that the mother and baby made it out of that terrible situation unharmed and healthy. However, the curious jerk inside of me has so many questions that I feel the need to drive to California just to ask the mother.

My curiosity says yes, but my bank account, diuretic, and lack of a drivers license says no. Therefore, I had to settle for asking anyone else that would listen to me. And after I asked my questions and they gave me the best possible answers, I in turn asked more questions.

I was never really into that old saying- Curiosity killed the cat. I believe if the cat would've simply asked, he might have found what he was looking for and avoided impending death so early on. That, or he would've been thrown from a moving car by the fellow passengers that he annoyed with his constant questioning and meddling. It's definitely one of those.

That's never stopped me from asking the questions that I seek answers to though, and now I thought that I would share with you the questions that immediately came to my mind after reading that article.
  • Why would you decided to go to your parents house for "help" when you're clearly going into labor, instead of calling an ambulance? And if not calling an ambulance and wanting your mom there, why not just drive to the hospital and call your mom to meet you there? Afterall, you're already in the car. Or, why not call your mom to come to you to take you to the hospital since you're the one about to push out a baby?
  • Why would you choose this particular moment in your life to go off roading? It seems to me that perhaps you're not thinking clearly. Not only are you driving while in labor (highly dangerous, what if you go into a contraction and the car gets out of your control?), but now you decide to take a back road that you've only seen "in passing" and people have told you about here and there?
  • Why wouldn't you check your gas guage before going on this pre-labor adventure? Were you in too much pain? Is your gas gauge broken? Did you really not think to yourself- "Perhaps, I should check to make sure that I have enough gas before I go on this adventure; that way I don't get stranded on this clearly questionable road that I'm determined to take, even though it's obviously a terrible choice"? Really, none on that crosses your mind?
  • Why did you lay a sleeping bag down in the back seat to give birth? Was it strictly a comfort thing or did you later plan to wrap that baby in said sleeping bag? Also, why wouldn't you keep the sleeping bag out from under you just in case you and your baby need it for warmth? Afterall, you are stranded in the wilderness. Is it so you wouldn't ruin your interior? I know that interior cleaning can get expensive, but is this really the time to think about that? Did you just do it without thinking? 
  • You said that you didn't cut the baby's umbilical cord, because you didn't know if you would be able to feed the baby. Ok. What about breast feeding? I know that it's not ideal for a lot of women these days, but in a situation like this, wouldn't it be the perfect time to give it a shot? Also, if the afterbirth has already come out, doesn't that mean that the umbilical cord isn't doing any good, because the placenta is where the baby gets the nutrients from? And if the placenta is still in you, can't that cause a horrible infection? And if that's the case, wouldn't you think that it would pass from you to the newborn baby?
  • Were the mosquitoes and bees really coming after the placenta? Because it all goes back to my other question, where was the placenta located at this time? If it's on the outside of your body, couldn't you just toss it into the woods away from the two of you? And if it's still in you (perv mosquitoes), why aren't you concerned and try to remove it some way? 
  • Why didn't you start walking back the way you came? I know that you had just given birth and everything, but if there was ever a time to try and retrace your steps, wouldn't now be that time? And if you're traveling inwards and it's clearly taking longer than anticipated, wouldn't you turn around before you ran out of gas so you wouldn't get lost in a national forest?
  • Why did you choose to start a forest fire to get the attention of someone to come rescue you? Weren't you fearful that the fire would spread trapping you and your child in the flames? Have you never seen Backdraft or Chicago Fire? I would assume that if you're scared of mosquitoes that you would be afraid of fire. And how did you start the fire? If you had matches or a lighter, couldn't you have cooked something in the wilderness to feed yourself so you could have the strength to walk back the way you came? If you were secretly a Cub Scout and knew how to make a fire out of nothing, weren't you also trained in other survival techniques? Why just fire? 
  • Why would you do interviews and tell people all about this story, when clearly the entire situation could have been avoided? Didn't you think that someone would be horrible like me and wonder why you did all of these things, instead of being focused on the happy ending? Did you really think that none of these things could be avoided? What did your mom say about all of this? Did your dad shake his head or did he not even realize that you had given birth? What did the rescuers say when you told them what happened? Were they silent with "wtf" looks on their faces? Did they think that you were delusional from being lost in the wilderness and dehydrated for three days?
  • Finally, you lived off of a few apples, a can of soda and a little water. Where did all of that come from? Was it already in your car or did you grab it before you left the house? Were you in labor, but incredibly hungry and knew they wouldn't give you food at the hospital, so you took it with you to eat as a snack? I've heard of women stopping through a drive-thru on their way to the hospital, because they want food and the Doctors will say no. Is that just a labor thing or are you always in the mood for a snack?
And the more people that gave me answers to these questions, the more questions that I had. Don't get me wrong about all of this. I'm really glad that the mother and baby are fine. I want people to get their happy endings, but I still feel like all of this could've been avoided. I just don't understand the thought process that she was going through. And it's true, I've never given birth, so I don't know the thoughts and emotions that run through your body, but I just don't see how any of this seems to be logical to anyone.

But at least they are safe, happy and home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment