Sunday, January 15, 2017

I hate myself for loving this song as much as I do.

I mean, I really, really love it. Damn you, Justin Bieber. I swear, first person to call me a "Belieber" is getting punched in the face.... or something as equally dramatic as that.

Have you ever just heard a song and before you even think about who could be singing it, or if it goes with your "taste" in music, the first thing that comes to your mind is- "now this song, I can get on board with?"

That's usually how I end up with the majority of music that I like. I hear it once and before forming any outside opinions, I form my own. I think that's how it should be. (P.s. Chances are, my Momma probably doesn't like you, because she most definitely doesn't like everyone- and I'm always better sleeping on my own, because I have a dog partner and night terrors.).


Music isn't supposed to be for other people, it's supposed to be for yourself. And if a song makes you smile, or happy, or anything associated with those things, I say go for it. To hell with what other people think (the same goes for your clothes and other life choices). Do it for you, no one else.

(Isn't that the entire point of a "guilty pleasure" song?! I'm looking at you Call Me Maybe).

However, I'm not going to lie, when I first heard this song (and loved it) and found out that it was a Justin Bieber song.... I kind of wanted to kick my own ass. How could I not? The kid is a total tool and I could feel the old soul/Jim Morrison conscience within myself slowly melting into oblivion....

But then I remembered, Jim did it for himself.... and so shall I. Do I still love this song even though I shouldn't? Hell yes, I do. Am I going to continue to sing it every single time it comes on the radio without shame? Hell yes, I am. Am I going to broadcast it to the rest of the world and start comparing Justin Bieber's musical ability to that of Jack White and Glenn Frey?! Hell to the no, I'm not. I like one of his songs, I'm not trying to make a leap like that.... I have the legs of a corgi dog.

And he is no Jack White.

No comments:

Post a Comment