Monday, June 26, 2017

Harry Potter is 20.... and I am old as f*ck.

On this day in 1997 JK Rowling's book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (the Sorcerer's Stone to us here in the states) was released. And shit was changed FOR-EVV-ERRRRR.

While I didn't know about this book until four years later (when the first movie was released), it's safe to say that everything would be a lot different without this little anniversary. Just think, when I existed in a world without Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger no one knew how much better the fictional world was about to get.

Don't believe me?! Yeah, tell that to their theme-park. *mic drop*

The point is, a moment like this needs to be documented (and yes, I feel like this is an important enough event in my life to document). From book releases (1997-2007) to movie releases (2001-2011). If you don't want to do the math that's fourteen years. And fourteen years doesn't even begin to describe what this is to certain people. While legit fans love the books as much as the movies, it was the movies that really made it sink in for people. What does all of that boil down to?

10 years, 8 movies (7 books), and $1.342 billion dollars. Yes, BILLION.
And the late great Alan Rickman in yet another one of his amazing roles.
And you're wrong.... Ron and Hermione totally DO belong together FOREVER.

The first run in I had with anything Harry Potter was when I was eleven years old and my friend Amanda wanted me to go with her to the movies. We were pretty inseparable and her Pa agreed that I should come along (that was also the logic used to take me to Guntown Mountain with them). I'm not sure there has ever been two more mesmerized kids in the history of any movie. Just us sitting in that teeny little theater in the town next to our holler of a town.... it was only us, because in the town we grew up in, Harry Potter was considered witchcraft therefore blasphemy for many people. Deep South, amirite?!

We watched that movie and then got a hold of any and every thing Harry Potter. Here we are now as grown adults (I'm 27, she's 28) and we still share that special bond. The "kids might grow up and apart, but true ones are still there no matter what" bond. And Harry Potter is what really cemented that for us at such a young age. Almost twenty years of loving/unbreakable friendship and for that, I am forever grateful.

Thank you, JK Rowling. Love, Dumbledore's Army.... Forever & Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment