Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Ten years of McLovin.... if you don't know who that is, we can't be friends.

Back in August the tenth anniversary of the release of the movie Superbad happened. I meant to mention it back then (I mentioned it on Instagram/FB, so that counts, right?), but I forgot and a bunch of things happened and now here I am almost two month later showing up late to class.

You win some, you lose some.

In 2007 I was seventeen years old (#babyface) and living in Florida. I had a boyfriend (I guess he is counted as my highschool sweetheart?) and a few close friends.... and to say that we watched alot of movies, would be an understatement.

While my friend Noodle and I are extreme movie buffs, our boyfriends only watched, because we wanted to and it was Florida.... it's always f*cking hot as hell down there and you tend to want to stay in alot (if you're us).


I've never been one to go to the theatre a whole lot, but have hit it from time to time when it's something that I really want to see (and a couple of times on dates).

With all of that being said, when something about a movie that I love comes up, I feel the need to celebrate it. And this time around is no different. You see, I went with said boyfriend at the time, his brother, and his brother's girlfriend to the theatre to see Superbad.... and whether or not we were inebriated and snuck cheeseburgers and sweet tea in is besides the point. And I laughed at that movie so hard I nearly pissed my pants.

And if you think about it, Superbad is more important than you think.

Without Superbad, the world might not know the lovable cuteness of Emma Stone. That's right, her "big break" started right here.... in a movie with no less than fifteen d*ck jokes. Do I think Emma Stone would have still broken through to become an actress? Yes. Do I think everyone would know how hilarious she is without it? Who knows.

Without Superbad, we might not have the genius that is Jonah Hill playing Donnie Azoff in The Wolf of Wall Street. And if you haven't seen that movie, go watch it right f*cking now, because it is hilarious (but totally inappropriate, so don't watch it around people you're not 100% comfortable with).

And if you've seen either of the Jump Street movies (21 & 22), and loved the pain in the ass/completely sarcastic team of Jonah Hill and Dave Franco, you can thank Superbad. Yeah, that's right, Dave Franco played in Superbad (albeit a small role) as a kid named Greg that played soccer and pissed his pants years before.

Without it, where the hell would we have gotten the phrase: "I AM MCLOVIN...."? And if you've never said that, I don't think we can be friends.

Do you like Michael Cera? Well, without Superbad he may never have gotten the opportunity to play literally the exact same character in every single movie for over a decade. So, you're welcome.

This movie is so badass that the cast are besties even a decade later (Jonah Hill and Michael Cera, Emma Stone and Martha MacIsaac, Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, etc.). And they all just randomly keep making movies together and IT IS GREAT.

It's been a decade and this movie still cracks me up because I have a filthy mind and find d*ck jokes funny every single time I watch it. Not to mention, I still quote it on a semi-regular basis (stop judging me).

So, on this day almost two months late we celebrate the catastrophe that is Superbad. Blow J's for everybody!! (And you'll only find that funny if you've seen the movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment