Tuesday, November 21, 2017

When you start getting gray hair at twenty-seven.

The other day (Sunday maybe?) Aunt Poot looked at the top of my head and informed me that my roots have grown out.... I was forced to tell her that I don't have any dye or anything else in my hair and haven't in a very long time (like, years), so everything that's showing in my hair is in fact just natural.

She took another look and said, "oh my, Katie you're getting gray hair." I think she thought I was going to freak out or be mad, but since I'm very aware that I have some gray hair (and have had it coming in for a long while), I was good with it.

You see, I used to do all kinds of things with my hair. I'm talking dye, bleach, cut, pull, yank, twist.... in fact, it's kind of a miracle that I have any hair left (and that I'm lucky enough that it's healthy).

I never dyed my hair, because I was embarrassed by it. I used to do all kinds of things to it, because it was fun and I was curious to see what I would look like with something different. You know, kind of how some people get piercings or tattoos.... except I wanted to do something that wasn't quite so permanent. So, I went crazy with my hair.

Momma was never one to get all looney-tunes about me changing my hair and I started messing with it when I was around twelve. With dying my hair from twelve until I was in my early twenties, I hadn't seen my natural color in YEARS and kind of forgot what it actually was. (I had no recollection of having kind of strawberry blonde hair, but apparently it was always there underneath the dark dye).

But now my hair won't hold color anymore (it's probably damn tired of trying to keep up) and honestly, I'm pretty much over dying it. I say leave it be and let the chips fall where they may. Alot of the women in my family have started to get gray hair young, most of them in their twenties just like me and I'm good with it. Besides, women are rocking that shit these days.

Aside from getting it cut (did I mention how much I love having my medium/kind of short hair again?), I think my "hair experimenting" days are over.

Side note: I had to have the most ridiculous argument with my cousin over her hair, because I asked her who did hers and she tried to tell me the color that was on her head was all her natural color.... and I had to tell her she was full of shit, because NOBODY is born with burgundy hair. 

*insert exasperated emoji here*

No comments:

Post a Comment