Thursday, December 28, 2017

Creeping into Terminator territory.

I love the Terminator movies (yes, I love them all, but we all know T2 is the best one in existence). There's just something about them that makes you go, "oh.... maybe we should be aware of machines and their capabilities.... are we really safe with AI?!"

But most of the time you watch one and after a few hours or even the rest of the day (or night, depending on when you like to watch movies, I don't judge) you let those thoughts fall by the wayside. It makes sense.

Afterall, technology is everywhere in our lives and advancing every single day. In fact, I had the idea for this post and started it on my Iphone.... and finished it on a computer. I love old-fashioned ways (i.e. letter writing, visiting, etc.), but to say that technology hasn't made life easier and more convenient would be a lie.

But when is technology too much? Well.... I say it's too much when you literally can't function at anything all day simply because your technology has a "glitch."

Think about it.... how does your day go and how much do you really "accomplish" if your internet crashes?

Granted, these days we have to have some form of technology, whether it be for work or personal (I know that Netflix doesn't seem like a "must" but trust me, in my life it is), but I think maybe people are taking it a little bit too far.

Like, I realize that everybody seems to have cellphones these days (myself included), but do you really need a function on it to talk to, because you're too damn lazy to just look something up (Siri)? And yes, that kind of thing is handy for someone who has a form of disability and needs assistance.... but everybody does not need to be able to look at their phone and say shit like, "hey Siri, how many noodles can a dude fit into his nose before he suffocates and dies?" (And yes, I heard that exact thing at the grocery store between a man and his phone in the spaghetti aisle last week).

Do we really need for our things to talk to each other from ACROSS THE ROOM even though one of them ISN'T EVEN TURNED ON at the time? Is this really where we want to take it? Technology is so far advanced that it surpassed us a long time ago. In fact, it's so advanced that I don't know if we could ever even catch up.

Did we learn NOTHING from John Connor?! Afterall in the first movie he said, "The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged on for decades. But the final battle will not be fought in the future. It would be fought in our present.... tonight." I mean, I know y'all think I'm crazy and that my paranoia and conspiracy theories are leaking over into Randy Quaid territory, BUT is it really so crazy to think that our technology that is so far advanced already would be able to "think for itself" and decide that mankind was a threat unto itself? I know it sounds crazy, but I don't think it's that far fetched.

Let's just all hope that there are some John Connor's and Kyle Reese's walking around out there. And that I'm 100% crazy.... which let's be honest, isn't that far fetched considering that this will probably be posted tomorrow, but I'm writing it tonight and I've had ALOT of wine. You can thank my family and their Christmas gifts to me for that. Speaking of which.... I totally need to watch Terminator: Salvation tomorrow night. I love that damn movie (because Anton Yelchin, Sam Worthington, and Christian Bale make fabulous movies separated let alone together).

What was my point again?!

No comments:

Post a Comment