Thursday, January 4, 2018

I think I could make a pretty fancy beer funnel out of that.

As I'm sure most people know (the ones that follow along with my life and listen to my incessant rambling at least), Momma had to have emergency/life saving/altering surgery back in July 2017 and ever since that time she has been a real trooper.

Sure, she's had her good days and her bad days.... but we all have those. Her good days have far outnumbered the bad and for the most part she's felt really good. Just a little cold or headache on occasion, like us all.

We figured this winter was going to be hard on her, because it is the first "cold season" that she'll be dealing with now that she has an amputation. Although we tried to be as prepared as we could, this winter has been unusually cold for the Midwest (seriously, it's supposed to be -20° tomorrow morning and it's already -8° degrees today), so it's been a bit more of a struggle. She's usually pretty good if she can stay in and has her meds on time, but you can't just stay in the house 24/7 (although, I'm so cold right now that sounds pretty damn sweet), so some days she's more achy than others.

But, as always, she's a real trooper and is taken it all as it comes at her. I don't think she'll ever know how much I love her and how proud I am.

Today was one of those "special" days that you hear about when it comes to a surgery like she had. Because today, on this cold mother-f*cking Thursday.... she got her prosthetic.

I didn't get to go with her to the doctor, because I had to work, but on the first day she got to walk again, I was 100% there (and cried a little). She text me as soon as she got out of the doctor's office and when I got home she did a lap around the house with me. (She's only allowed to wear it for two hours a day for now as she adjusts to it and practices).

Her and I usually get through all things in life with.... sarcasm. I know, you never would have guessed that with me, but it's true. (And yeah, you probably already knew that). So, whenever we can we joke and laugh. Which lead to this conversation:

Momma: "Puss, look at my prosthetic." Me: "Wow, Momma.... that's pretty nice." Momma: "I know. What do you think?" Me: "I think I could make a pretty decent beer funnel out of that." Momma: "No, Katherine Diane! You CANNOT convert my prosthetic into a fancy beer funnel!" Me: "Uh huh, you're really regretting that whole encouraging my creative side when I was a child thing now huh?!" She laughed, I laughed, and it was a great thing to share.

And with that, my friends, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment