Thursday, March 8, 2018

My thoughts on the first season of the series: Frontier. (Part I).

Winter seems like it's just going to stick around for the next fourteen years (seriously, I had my car window down on Monday and by Thursday morning we had snow), I've been doing a whole lot of Netflixing. In all fairness though, I'm always trying to do a whole lot of Netflixing and a whole bunch of nothing else but THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

With that being said, I've tried a few different shows here and there, trying to watch some that I've been trying to get through for what seems like forever, some that I've seemingly forgotten about or given up on, and a few new ones to see if they were "for me."

On the "is it for me" list was none other than- Frontier.

while the tagline or "plot synopsis" doesn't sound all that appealing at first: "the series follows Declan Harp (Jason Momoa), a part-Irish, part-Cree outlaw who is campaigning to breach the Hudson's Bay Company's monopoly on the fur trade in Canada." I decided to give it a try, because I usually like things that other people might find "boring" or "unconventional." I mean, aren't we all a little tired of new cop and/or hospital shows? I know I am since they canceled my favorite one (the seriously underrated "The Night Shift") after four short seasons.

Plus, I was kind of already on the "underrated Jason Momoa tv show" bandwagon, because of short-lived series "The Red Road." Just like Frontier, it originated elsewhere (The Red Road was on Sundance and Frontier was originally Discovery Channel Canada), but I found it via Netflix. Where good shows come to live until Katie finds them and binge-watches until her little heart's content. (Probably).

Like all things involving Jason Momoa (whom I love in general #ConanThe Barbarian) this show both excited and completely terrified me. Seriously, the man's adorable.... and PETRIFYING. He usually looks somewhere between wanting to cuddle bunnies and about to go on a murder spree after having a psychotic break.

It's a fine line and the man walks it well.

I've watched the first three episodes of the first season (each season is only six episodes long) and I think one of my favorite parts has to be when Declan (aka, Jason Momoa) and Sokanon save Michael from three different "Brown" (the last name of some of the characters) brothers and once the rest of Declan's "group" kills the other two (three?) and he decides that he can still shit talk Declan.... so Declan chops one of his ears off.... and proceeds to talk into the severed ear the rest of the conversation. I swear, it's a whole lot more comical to watch than what that paragraph made it sound.

All in all, going from the first three episodes it's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment