Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Some things I've learned since my boyfriend asked me to marry him.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that? I know I talked about how my boyfriend was trying to talk me into marriage and I didn't know how anything was going to unfold. Well, guess what?

I still have no f*cking clue.

But, he did ask. And apparently it needs said, because my entire family and all my friends were like "well.... what did you say?"

I said yes.

He actually had to propose twice (ok, he didn't "have to" but he did), because he actually got my ring from his grandmother and mother. You see, the engagement ring was his grandmother's and the band was his mothers. And that to me is better than getting some new ring, because it's more special (or at least, that's my opinion on it).

But, in his haste to propose (at our home while I was wearing no makeup and cooking dinner in my pajamas), he proposed with the band. I didn't want to tell anybody until I had the chance to tell Dani, but made the exception for him to tell his mom, because come on, it's his mom. He sent her the picture of me wearing it and she was like, "aw sweetie, wrong ring." So, he did it again. And that's just too good apart of the story to leave out for me.

With all of that being said, I thought I would share some of the things that I've "learned" since becoming engaged.

#1: I never thought the day would come where if I ever decided to get married, I wouldn't have Momma here with me: and I don't care for it one bit. In the interest of full disclosure, Devon talked to Momma about asking me to marry him before she passed away. I know this, because she mentioned a little something about it to me. I think she did it just so I wouldn't know he was going to ask, but so I knew when he finally did, she more than approved. We used to watch that show "Say Yes to the Dress" together all the time, and would just have fun with it. But, never did I think the day would come to where she wouldn't physically be here with me if I ever had to say yes to a dress. And I know she's here in spirit and in my heart, but it still hurts and I would be lying if I said I knew how to process any of this. (I don't).

Side note: Devon told me when he asked her she kind of chuckled and said, "that girl will marry you, but she'll never change her mind about babies." It's amazing how well she knows me.

#2: Everyone thought that I was going to "die alone" as an old spinster: which to be fair, isn't that far of a stretch. I've always said that marriage and kids are not for me (and I still maintain my stance on the not having kids part) and I like to spend enormant amounts of time alone. Well, alone with my pups at least. I know most people find the company of others to be comforting, but me, not so much. I prefer to be by myself (mostly). I don't know why, but I just do, and I've always been ok with that. When I made the comment, "wow, alot of people thought I was gonna die alone" my brother let me know that whether anybody else did or not.... he definitely did. Thanks, bro.

#3: Wedding dress shopping seems a lot more challenging and expensive than tv would leave you to believe: there's not an endless supply of dresses you love in your price range. I decided to just "look" at wedding dresses online, even though I have no idea when we will get married. But, I thought that since I didn't want anything real "fancy" that the process would be relatively painless. I. Was. F*cking. Wrong. Did you know that "legit" bridal places don't usually even have dresses for less than $300? And yeah, I know people spend much more money on those kinds of things, but I have no desire to be forking out almost an entire mortgage payment (or more!) for ONE DRESS.

#4: While I usually love the fact that Devon doesn't have too much to say about the way I dress/look, I find it very irritating that he won't give me an opinion on what kind of wedding dresses he likes: it's a simple question(s), dude.... THERE ARE TOO MANY OPTIONS. He's all, "it's your dress, it doesn't matter what I like and don't like, it's for you to pick out and love." And while that's usually a sweet sentiment and I love him for it, I'm also like dude this is hard, help a gal out. Then he mentioned something about a poofy camo wedding dress and while I love camo I had to look at him like he was smoking crack rock. Then he mentioned a black wedding dress. But when I said something about an "off white" dress he was all, "you don't wanna wear white?!" I was forced to tell him that "white" is traditionally for virgins, because it's a sign of purity, and we've known each other since we were fifteen, THE JIG IS UP. Needless to say, I still have no idea what I'm doing.

#5: And not that I had any doubt about it, but I'm real happy that I'll have a different last name: for a long time Momma and I talked about me changing my last name (I would have taken her maiden name) and we always said that I would do that by the time I'm thirty. Well, I might not be married and have an official different last name by the time I'm thirty, but I'm on the way.

Basically, I've learned that I need a nap and a drink. Oh, and while I like Say Yes to the Dress, it's a bag of horseshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment