Thursday, October 20, 2016

If y'all need me, I'll be hiding in my fort.

To say that the last couple of weeks have been hectic would be a vast understatement.

I've talked a bit here and there on the fact that my job is trying out this new trial thing with me, a "promotion" kind of, to see if we can streamline a few things and make life a bit easier for all involved. It's more work for me, but I like to stay busy and it's a bit more money, so I was completely on board.

Dani decided to start me off slow, working on a couple of projects, nothing too large scale, because there is in fact a learning curve. We all knew this going in and were fine with it. And things went pretty great.... for about three days.


And no, I haven't been fired and we haven't changed our minds about it, kind of the opposite actually.

What happened was three days into trying out this new position/experiment a co-worker of ours got taken to the hospital.... and while I'm not comfortable sharing his health stories (they're not mine to tell), I will just leave it at it's going to be quite some time before he gets to come back, if ever, and we are all hoping/praying for his health to improve. The most important thing is that, while I am kind of "venting" I would like it clearly stated that I am not holding this against him or his health in any way. Getting better is our tip-top hope for him.

With that being said, what was left behind in his unexpected absence was a cluster f*ck to say the least. Each one of our workers has a very specific job, with multiple projects that only they deal with.... so when someone has to take over all of those projects at various stages of bid and completion?

ANARCHY. (And not the Sons of, kind).

All at once we had no clue what was done, what needed done, what was/was not scheduled for work, where anything was, or who needed what for 1/3 of the company. The first day (last Thursday) we worked from 6:00 am (the time I always come to work) non-stop until 4:00 pm, including working through lunch while trying to shove pizza down our throats without choking to death/puking on all of our paperwork.

What's that old saying? "Toss your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee, put on some gangsta rap, and handle it." Thank you, Eminem. That's all I have to say, because nothing gets you to want to "handle shit" quite like Marshall Mathers does.... or is that just for me? Either way, that man and caffeine has been my saving grace for the past week.

There is so much stuff everywhere that our office looks like either a bomb went off, a twister went through, or we've decided to build a fort and wait out winter (something that I will in fact be doing at my own house, not here). There are papers everywhere, samples sprawled throughout, and the faintest scent of disdain in the air. Don't even get me started on the post-its (we have Romy and Michele quotes in abundance) that are stuck to every surface imaginable.

And now, it's still a cluster f*ck (and not depleting whatsoever in its cluster f*ckness), but we already know that and while it's a giant pain in the ass and we don't foresee it getting any better (or peoples moods improving at any point), we're trying.... and I've managed to catch onto quite a lot that we all thought would take weeks-months. Nothing says "take that learning curve" kind of like the only other option being to crash and burn.

And while that is still an option, we're kind of too pissed off to let it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment