Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Why I wear two rings on "that finger" without being married.

I recently got asked on social media if I was "engaged" or "seeing someone special" because in a picture I posted, you could see two rings on "that finger" and people started freaking out. And by people, I mean some of my friends that should've known better (no worries, most (ie: my best ones) did.... they know me far too well to not know why I have those two rings).

I don't wear jewelry. I used to wear quite a bit of it when I was younger (I'm talking three necklaces, two arms full of random bracelets, earrings all the way around- about thirteen piercings in each ear, three to four rings, and a belly button ring AT A TIME AND MINIMUM), but once I started working at the nursing home I took all jewelry off except earrings and belly button ring. Then, I took out the earrings.... and last year I decided it was time to say goodbye to the belly ring (because a belly ring is a young gal's game, and this Katie ain't young no 'mo) and took it out, leaving myself pretty bare.

And that sounds kind of dirty, but I swear isn't.

I'm also pretty adamant about liking the fact that I'm single and have absolutely no desire to be married.... EVER.

When I was around sixteen/seventeen, my high school sweetheart got me a necklace, one of his rings that I wore (that had a giant skull, because we were too cool for our own damn good), and a promise ring (it was beautiful and you couldn't pry it from my cold little pale grubby hands), that I no longer have (the sweetheart or the ring), and other than that, I've never worn a piece of jewelry for a purpose until now.

You see, I wear my jewelry for the same reason that most people do (no, not marriage).... for the sentimental value that it holds.

The "waterfall" ring that I wear was originally my Grammy's. She had worn it for years and gave it to me when I was eighteen years old. We were really close and I'm not sure why she chose this ring (she had a bajillion at one time) or me to give it to, but she did, and I love it for that reason. I'm not a "fancy" kind of girl, so if it wasn't sentimental, I wouldn't wear it. Plain and simple. And even though I've had it since I was eighteen, I never started really wearing it until about two years ago (remember, I couldn't wear rings when I was a CNA), and found my jewelry box while unpacking.

The second ring, I wear behind the "waterfall" ring and it's a cross inside of a heart/flat band. You may think that I wear this ring for religious purposes (I don't), but I actually wear it, because it's my Momma's. She wore this ring throughout the majority of my childhood and probably still would if she could. We found it a few weeks ago when we ran across an old box while going through boxes to get rid of/store things and I've been wearing it ever since (with her blessing/permission). This way, I always have a little piece of both of them with me at all times (because all of the personality traits, sarcasm, and attitude I get from them apparently isn't enough).

And I wear them together on "that" finger for two reasons.... because it only takes up one finger and that's the one they fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment