Saturday, November 9, 2019

I had an emotional breakdown over a f*cking mouse.

Friday evening I came home from work and started feeding Tayder (he eats vienna sausages, not regular dog food), and while I was draining his can of food in the sink, I realized there was a teeny tiny mouse stuck in it.

Finding a mouse or two throughout the winter months is not unusual in the Midwest, but if I'm being perfectly honest, finding a live one just chilling in your sink tends to catch you a little off guard. I wasn't sure what to do at first, so I put a tupperware bowl over him and slid the lid under, effectively trapping him inside the bowl. I knew that I should have killed him, because mice tend to just get back in where it's warm, but as I looked at him in the bowl, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

In fact, I panicked and just kept replaying scenes from The Green Mile in my head over and over again until the point came where I started crying and saying out loud, "I can't kill him! I can't do it! I can't be like Percy! What would John Coffey say?! Not Mr. Jangles!!"

It was a bit insane, even for me, but the fact remains that I've been fairly emotional lately and just couldn't do it. Needless to say, after panicking for another three to four minutes, I took him outside, a little down the street, and released him on the hillside, hoping that he would run away and start a new life somewhere else.

And yes, I threw away the tupperware bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment