Wednesday, September 8, 2021

A random post about life before marriage that has no substance.

When I used to talk to people about significant others, they would always ask me why I never wanted to get married. It was the usual "you should get married and have babies" spiel that I heard from the time I was thirteen until I actually got married (people start talking about marriage and babies young in the holler).

I would always answer them, but my answer never seemed to placate them. Sure, answering "I like to do what I want, when I want, with who I want without anybody giving me shit for it" probably wasn't the best way to get people to see my side, but it was so honest that I couldn't help myself.

And no, I didn't get married just so people would leave me alone about it (although, I do have to admit that is a nice little bonus).

While all of that is the truth, the real reason that I got married was simple. I love my husband. I have since we were fifteen years old and the thought of him being married to someone other than myself literally makes my blood boil and I want to fling bitches by their hair like I'm throwing a three year old's temper tantrum. But, I digress, because y'all don't need to know how crazy I am.

When we were both still single though (a couple of months before D drove 1,000 miles), one of my aunts asked me what it would take for me to get married. My answer was simple:

"I want my husband to adore me. Like, so much he can't even stand it. I just want him to love the shit out of me. Also, mow the grass and take out the trash so I don't have to. Tell me I'm pretty, make me laugh, binge watch tv with me, give me some lovin, and for the love of all that's holy, do all the maintenance on my car even though that it is 100% not your responsibility or problem, because we both know I'm not gonna do it."

She thought that was a funny list of "demands" (her word, not mine), but I was completely serious. I mean, the whole point of marriage is to be a team and have each others back, right? So damn, I'll do my part, but I ain't asking for much!

Luckily, as fate would have it, I got all of the things that I ever wanted and much more. You ever heard the term made for each other? Yeah, well.... here we are. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment