Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Super Bowl is five days away and my family might disown me by then.

Super Bowl LII is five days away and as per our tradition (it’s a tradition that has been started since we moved back around family in Indy five years ago), we will be going to Aunt Poot and Uncle D’s to watch the game (and eat way more junk than what's appropriate). And sometimes a couple of my cousins are there, but it's usually just the four of us.

Except this is year might be my last time to be in attendance for all eternity.

Let me explain. You see, this year, at the Bowl it will be the Eagles vs the Patriots and while I’m not a Patriots fan, I am a HUGE Rob Gronkowski fan. And last year at the Bowl it was the Patriots vs the Falcons and the Pats won.... and managed to piss off almost every single person that I’ve ever met.

Except me. Why? Because as I said, I’m a Gronkowski (I know he goes by just Gronk, but for some reason I love saying the word Gronkowski) fan and while he was out last year (he’s been plagued by injuries.... and it pisses me off that some of them could’ve been prevented, but they make him take more, because of his size.... but that’s an argumentative post for another day), I still got to see him on a giant ass screen in all of his glory. Would I have preferred to see him playing? Sure. But I also wouldn’t want somebody to hurt themselves beyond recovery “just because” or over a job.

And every single person that was in the living room the night we watched Super Bowl LI wanted to put me in a headlock until I took back the fact that I was ok with the Pats winning on the pure basis that I think Gronkowski pulls those rings off well.

It probably also didn’t help that I documented every single time they even remotely glanced the camera his way.

But I digress, because I’m pretty sure my family can probably sense a disturbance in the force since I’ve mentioned a Patriot so many times. They’re so crazy when it comes to it (they are all diehard Colts fans.... except my Momma who is a diehard Steelers fan and is good with my love for Gronkowski), you would think I had said “Beetlejuice” three times in a row.

Beetlejuice.... Beetlejuice.... just kidding, I won’t say it again. (Except technically I’ve already said it three times so I can’t remember is that counts or not?)

There's been some doubt as to whether or not Gronkowski will be eligible to play at this years Bowl (he's currently on concussion protocol), but I have a feeling that if he gets ANY say in the matter, he will be ready to roll.... because you know he hated standing on the sidelines and shit last year.

Either way, here's hoping he's all good and healthy.... and that I can outrun the majority of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment