Tuesday, September 10, 2019

You're "getting a double" is not as much fun when you're at the dentist.

For as long as I remember I've always had trouble with my teeth. I never understood why, as I brush and floss regularly and try to take care of myself as best as I can. Even though I don't look great most of the time, I at least make sure that I'm showered, wash/brush my hair, brush my teeth, and wear deodorant.

You know, all the stuff your Momma teaches you from the time you're little until you're grown.

But, without fail, no matter what I do, my teeth give me trouble. I've had to have work done, teeth removed, I've been in pain.... way more than once.... and honestly, it's just exhausting. I was told by a couple of dentists (and my doctor) that the reason I have so much trouble with my teeth is because my body will not hold enough calcium to keep them healthy. Which is a bitch, considering the fact that I eat calcium enriched foods like there's no tomorrow, I take a multivitamin AND an extra calcium vitamin every day. It's borderline ridiculous and a giant pain in my ass.

I say this, so that I can bring up the fact that I had to take another trip to the dentist yesterday. Technically, I had an appointment last Thursday, but my dentist was called to an emergency, so they rescheduled me for yesterday.

I had to have my two front teeth fixed, because they had broken (one tooth had been cracked for awhile, but then Xur accidentally headbutted my face and it broke both of them a few weeks ago), and while I am 100% a hillbilly, I prefer not to look like a methbilly.

I hadn't had any pain with them, they were just bothersome to me, because they were directly in the front (my two top) and I didn't feel comfortable with laughing, smiling with my teeth showing, and I even tried to keep my head down/hand over my mouth while talking. It was annoying.

Apparently it was a good thing that I went when I did, because the dentist was amazed that I hadn't had any pain.... it was just a matter of time he said. I had an exposed nerve and both teeth were broken way far up into my gum line. He informed me that I had to have not one, but TWO root canals. I had never had a root canal, but had heard horror stories about them my entire life. I was immediately nervous.

But, my dentist is a nice man and he talked me through it all, answered all of my questions, and let me know that he could do it all that day. Which was good to me, because I was tired of having broken front teeth. My favorite part of it was when he asked if I had ever had a root canal and when I told him no, he said.... well, you're about to have a double. I informed him that it didn't sound as fun in the dentist as it did a bar and he just laughed and told me I was silly.

Almost four hours and $$$ I didn't really have later, I have front teeth again. It's painful and a little swollen, but they're there. The most awkward part is trying to eat. I have to take it easy when I chew and I'm not supposed to bite down on anything for awhile, so it's an adjustment. I'm taking ibuprofen like they're gonna quit making it to manage the pain, and they let me know that it will be much more comfortable in a few days.

Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to have an awesome boyfriend fiance that understands when I'm not feeling well and/or sick, and he knew that I was going to have trouble eating.... so he made me grilled shrimp and noodles for supper last night (and while it took me forever to eat it, it was delicious!).

So, here's hoping.... maybe I'll look better now. Doubtful, but maybe. At least I feel better about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment