Thursday, May 10, 2018

Ash Williams is officially retiring.... and I'm in mourning.

On April 20, 2018 the show Ash vs. Evil Dead was cancelled and Bruce Campbell has officially retired.... the character of Ash Williams. Bruce Campbell himself isn't retiring (I don't think?), but he is retiring Ash Williams. RIP Ashley "Ash" Joanna "J" Williams. *insert all the tears here because I'm in a glass case of emotions!!*

I would be lying if I said this didn't make me a tad emotional, as I have loved Bruce Campbell nearly my entire life, and Ash Williams by extension. Some of my funniest memories with my friend Rachel (and her brothers) involve this character and he's the entire reason that I watched all seven season of Burn Notice (although, I did end up loving it for itself later).

Even the name of my blog is tied to an inside joke/story pertaining to this. And while I will continue to watch Bruce Campbell in all things (I'm a big fan), it's just a little sad to know that "Ash Williams" is "officially retired."

Do I know this? Yes. Can I accept this? I'm working on it. It's harder than it looks and I may cry a little.

Bruce Campbell released a statement to let all of his fans know this and try to let us all down easy like when you tell someone who asked you to the prom no:

"Good people, Evil dead fans everywhere, I bid you a heartfelt farewell playing Ash- the character I took acting lessons with for 39 years. I am hereby retiring from that portrayal. It's time. I followed Ash from his formative years thru his mid-life crisis and decline. What a thrill! What a privilege! We had a great resurgence with the help of Stars (kudos not jeers, folks). They made it possible for 15 more hours of Evil Dead-ness in your life- the equivalent of ten more features! Is Ash dead? Never. Ash is as much a concept as a person. Where there is evil in this world, the must be one to counter- man or woman, it matters not. Thanks for watching. Love, Bruce."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go cry, eat fourteen tacos, drink three bottles of wine, and reenact his most iconic lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment