Monday, July 29, 2019

I drove home from the airport alone while it was pitch black (not the movie).

This past Thursday, D's mom and nephew (he's five) flew in for a visit. We got to pick them up from the airport about 7:30 in the evening (after working all day and trying to clean the house/mow the grass/go to the grocery store after we got off, but before we picked them up.... we were down to the wire I tell you!) and I had to take them to the airport by 5:30 yesterday morning.

D was supposed to go to the airport with us, but that sleepyhead didn't want to wake up and I am not about to have that argument.... this time.

So, onwards we went and while Trish (D's mom) was real worried about me driving home from the airport by myself with it being as dark as it was, I made it with minor mishaps (interstates being closed are life ruiners) and now I am here to tell the tale.

Or, something like that.

It was a nice weekend and we all had a fun time. While I'm coming back from having three days in a row off, I feel like I haven't slept and have been going for two weeks straight? But, that could just be my mental health trying to restabilize itself from having a five year old at the house (we rarely, if ever, have visitors, let alone kids.... Gabby isn't even hardly there!).


Friday we went out for breakfast, ran to get Brei some toys, and hung around the house for the rest of the evening. We even had a movie night (The Last Airbender.... how have I not seen this before and why aren't they making its sequel?).... after D started a spray paint fight that I more than kicked his ass in and then took my victory lap. Saturday we stopped off to get a little Mickey D's and then headed downtown to the canal and rented a paddle boat for a bit. It was fun and while it was hot on Saturday, it felt nice being on the water. Then we went home and proceeded to play a card game called Phase10 (it's real fun, but harder than you would think!).... that is, after we had all indulged in some drinks.

Speaking of drinks, we all indulged in them both Friday and Saturday and our menu for the time was delicious. Thursday after the airport consisted of shepherd's pie. Friday consisted of tacos. And Saturday was all about the spicy chicken wings and asparagus. I'm really surprised D didn't make ribs, but we'll just have that next time.

Oh, and I tried Bloody Mary's for the first time. While they aren't and won't be my first drink of choice, they were also tastier than what I thought they were going to be. Afterall, I had a bad experience with "red beer" once, so to say I was a bit apprehensive would be an understatement.

There were some good laughs and some meaningful talks and I met my "new" nephew (he's five, but new to me since he's D's nephew). It was pretty easy to adore him like I adore Gabby since his mom is and always has been the best little sister I never had. We all laughed, cried, and had some real moments. Both sad and happy. Even Greg got to partake. He had to work, so he didn't get to spend the days with us, but he was around for the afternoons/evenings.

Trish listened to me about Momma and she told me about her life and we both shared about D. All in all, I don't know if it could've went better.

It was definitely worth all of that stressing to get the house finished (well, the living room/kitchen that we've been working on since March) and while cleaning up that back bedroom was a nightmare, I'm glad it was ready so they could have their own sleeping space/room and be comfortable. And while I have to clean the house (again! it's a never ending battle when you live with all dudes) after I get off of work today, I'm hoping to have leftovers for dinner and maybe relax and catch a shark movie tonight. Maybe some good ole pup cuddles and a well-deserved shower soak.

With that being said, I need to go sleep for six weeks. Please, excuse me. (Ps: they were totally worth getting up at 4:30am for).

No comments:

Post a Comment