I know that I'm extremely late to the party, but have you guys heard about that show- Justified?! It just wrapped up its six season run sometime in 2015 and here I am thinking- I should buy all of those dvds and get into this show. I know, I know. But in my defense, I've always meant to watch it and have just never gotten the opportunity.
Maybe now is that time?
Most people that are around me for any amount of time have heard me talk about the actor- Walton Goggins. In my humble opinion the man is a genius and why he has not received more attention until recently (being in two Quentin Tarantino films) is beyond me. My favorite character that he has ever brought to life would have to be hands down- Venus van Dam. In the six episodes of Sons of Anarchy that he was in, Goggins brought more life and depth to that character than what many people can bring to any character that they play for an entire series.
Between that southern drawl and charismatic tone it's clear that Goggins is a force to be reckoned with. As with many people from the South (I wasn't born in the South, but I was raised there and lived there almost my entire life) he has been typecast into the roles of "rednecks" and "racists." Let me tell you something- I would never say that the South doesn't have racists, but not everyone is like that. In fact, most of the people aren't. Being Southern doesn't make you racist, being a shitty person is what does that. And clearly people like that need no help in being the shitty people that they are. Goggins isn't a "Southern" actor; he is an actor that just so happens to be from the South.
And now that I have read about Justified I think it's about time to give his most famous role of Boyd Crowder (I'm already in love with that name) a go. While I don't know if the character of Boyd will ever outdo the character of Venus (for me), I think that it just might make me love his work a bit more (if that's even possible). And if for nothing else, then just for character lines like this:
- Boyd (to Ava): "Damn woman, you only shoot people when they're eatin' supper?!"
- Raylan: "Give me one reason that I shouldn't come up there and kick the living shit out of you?" Boyd: "I'll give you fifteen reasons in the mag and one in the chamber."
- Ava: "Damn baby, what happened to your face?" Boyd: "I do not play well with others."
- ATF Agent: "Did she screw all of your relatives or just you two?" Boyd: "Now sir, I know you have an investigation to conduct, but if you disrespect Ava one more time, I'm gonna come across this table."
- Boyd (to Raylen): "You're talkin' to a man who's sleeping with his dead brother's widow and murderess, so if you're lookin' for someone to cast stones at you in this matter, I think you've picked the wrong sinner."
- Boyd (to Raylen): "That's what assholes do Raylen; they get old and die from being assholes."
- Boyd (to Raylen): "I look good wearing a lot of things, but a wire ain't one of them."
And my personal favorite from Boyd: "I'm so hungry, I could eat the ass out of a low-flying duck."