Friday, October 22, 2021

Stu Macher was the beginning of my trust issues.

When I was six years old, a movie came out that rejuvenated horror movies into something that no one saw coming. From the opening scene with Drew Barrymore fighting and ultimately losing her path to survival, everyone knew that this was something different and.... amazing.

Back then, Momma let me watch pretty much whatever I wanted when it came to television. I think a lot of people did. The 90s were a different time; more laid back and benefiting from the fact that social media wasn't a thing yet. It was simple and people weren't offended by everything coming around the corner. Good times.

Scream was a movie that I insisted on watching, because even as a small child I was obsessed with movies that were particularly made for adults. Interview with the Vampire.... Braveheart.... Tombstone.... Legends of the Fall.... Seven.... Twister.... Armageddon.... Pretty Woman.... and so on and so forth. I think you pretty much understand where I'm going with this.

I have been obsessed with horror movies for as long as I can remember, and Scream was no exception. I've literally been watching this saga since I was six years old and now at thirty-one, it's still one of my very favorite go-to's. 

With that being said, it was recently announced that they had made a fifth installment. And as soon as I heard that, I was all WWWHHHHHAAAAAA????!!!!! And then I watched the trailer and my response was **heart eye emojis** **heart eye emojis** YYYEEEESSSSS!! (And then I got sad, because I realized this would be the first installment that I'll have to watch without Momma.... horror movies were kind of our thing together and this particular franchise is a forever favorite for us).

It looks intense and even has my returning faves (I'm look at you Sid, Dewey, & Gale) and a few new faces that I'm excited to see (I'm looking at you, Kyle Gallner). I mean, once you put Kyle Gallner in a horror movie (or really, any movie or tv show for that matter), it just gets better and better (in my opinion). I'm legit obsessed with his acting.

And, I'm pretty sure they're just calling this movie "Scream 2022" but let's be honest, I'm still going to call it Scream 5, because that's less confusing for me. Twenty-five years or not, the original will always be the shit. The last installment to come out was in 2011 and it was completely different than what anything in the other three had done (for the most part). I'm going to blame it on the changing times and growing social media presence. 

I don't know how they're going to do this movie with technology being what it is, but I hope it still has that old school kind of feel. Because at the end of the day, no matter if someone is live streaming or sharing what is happening (like in the fourth installment) at the base of the movie, it's supposed to be about survival from psychopaths. And they don't care what year it is.

And that's what I hope they go back to. I want to feel what I felt when Billy Loomis and Stu Macher ended up being the bad guys in the original. I want it to be simple, but oh so good. Surprising and just an all out fun time with serial killers. And yeah, I know that makes me sound a little psychotic, but I don't even care.

Also, if one or more of the three originals dies (which I feel like is going to happen), I will be so f*cking pissed off it won't be funny. Don't ruin my lifetime devotion to these movies, y'all! I mean, you already took out Randy in the second one (even though he kind of showed up in the third) and Cotton in the third, and it hasn't felt the same since.

This is also the first installment to not be directed by Wes Craven (may that genius man rest in peace), so we'll see how someone else lives up to it. It's big shoes to fill, and I hope they do it with as much passion and intensity as he always did. With the fact it's being directed by the guys who did that movie "Ready or Not" (and I lllooooovvvveee that movie), I have high hopes.

There's a rumor that Matthew Lillard is supposed to return and I for one am here for it! I don't know if it's true, but I would love it. Whether he's still a bad guy or has been rehabilitated (I mean, it was peer pressure! lol), like every other 90s/early 00s kid, I love me some Matthew Lillard.

Furthermore, can we all just agree that if this were real we would think every single person that lived in Woodsboro was a complete idiot? Like, why haven't y'all moved yet? And why do you insist on having so many teenagers in that one tiny town? It's like they're asking for generation after generation to be chopped up. 

Alas, it's not real, it's a movie franchise and I am here for it. 

Tell me what your favorite scary movie is on January 14, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment