Sunday, September 26, 2021

2021 films (Part I).

I used to do this thing, where I would separate the movies that I've watched and kind of update people on which movies/shows that I would recommend. I'm not sure why I fell out of the habit of it, probably has something to do with the fact that my attention span is that of a ferret on methamphetamine, but alas, here we are. It's been a real long time since I've done anything like this, so I thought I would just start with the movies and shows that I could remember and go from there.

I've decided that since it has been so long though, that I would do it a little differently. Mostly, I'll be adding in little commentary and snippets from D, as he is officially my movie partner in crime these days.... unless I happen to be home when he isn't.

I also figured that I would let people play a little catchup from back in the day:

Catch up from 2016.
Catch up from 2017: Part IPart IIPart III.

Catch up from 2018: Part IPart II.
Catch up from 2018/2019: Part IPart IIPart III.

Catch up from 2020: Part I. 


Like I said, it's been a long damn while. The last couple of weeks, I have convinced D to watch a few horror movies with me. It's starting to get cooler outside, so we watch more movies than we normally would. That, and the fact that we love to be lazy with each other and just hang out while catching a buzz.

I digress. The point is, D doesn't do "scary" movies. Like, at all. He doesn't like them and would prefer to avoid them at all costs. Which completely blew my mind, because he used to watch horror movies with me all the time without complaint, but according to him it was because we were teenagers and he was trying to impress me. Apparently since we're already married, he doesn't have to try to impress me anymore.

Rude.

I still sneak in a couple here and there though. And there's a whole lot more coming, he just doesn't know it yet. Hell, if he hates it that much, he'll just sleep through them anyways.

The Forever Purge

Synopsis: Adela and her husband, Juan, live in Texas, where he works as a ranch hand for the wealthy Tucker family. Juan impresses the Tucker patriarch, Caleb, but that fuels the jealous anger of his son, Dylan. On the morning after the Purge, a masked gang of killers attacks the Tuckers, forcing both families to band together and fight back as the country spirals into chaos.

My thoughts: What can I say? I like all of The Purge movies and this one was no exception. I liked it, because it was not only good, but I tended to like more of the characters this time around than some of the other ones. Like, I wanted Adela and Juan to get what they wanted and I wanted quite a few of them to survive. Not everyone I wanted to did of course, but it had good scenes and you really were just rooting for them.

Getaway

Synopsis: Though he used to race cars for a living, Brent Magna (Ethan Hawke) is now pitted against the clock in the most important race of his life; an unseen criminal (Jon Voight) has kidnapped Brent's wife, and to get her back, he must follow the man's instructions to the letter. Brent commandeers the ultimate muscle car -- a custom Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake -- and, with a tech-savvy young passenger (Selena Gomez), sets out on a high-speed chase to rescue his beloved.

My thoughts: While I thought Selena Gomez was a total pain in the ass in this movie, it was still good. Don't get me wrong, she's a great actor and all, but her character is literally supposed to be a pain in the ass and she certainly did them right. I'll watch damn near anything with Ethan Hawke and he has such a nonpluses attitude in almost everything that it just kind of sucks you in. Was it the greatest action movie ever made? No. Would I suggest it for somebody else to watch? Yes. 

Lords of Salem

Synopsis: A radio DJ (Sheri Moon Zombie) in Salem, Mass., is plagued by nightmarish visions of vengeful witches after she plays a record by a mysterious group known only as "The Lords."

My thoughts: Bro. BRO. This movie was so damn confusing and just baffling. I thought it would be great for us to watch, because I love witches, D loves Rob Zombie, so it was basically just a win/win. Right? Wrong. According to D he likes "Rob Zombie, but not necessarily Rob Zombie movies" and it was just confusing as all hell. If you like weird/random horror shit, then definitely give it a watch. But just be warned, I'm making this the weirdest Rob Zombie one I've seen to date.... and that's saying alot.

Mortal Kombat(2021)

Synopsis: Hunted by the fearsome warrior Sub-Zero, MMA fighter Cole Young finds sanctuary at the temple of Lord Raiden. Training with experienced fighters Liu Kang, Kung Lao and the rogue mercenary Kano, Cole prepares to stand with Earth's greatest champions to take on the enemies from Outworld in a high-stakes battle for the universe.

My thoughts: I did not expect to like this movie. Why? Because I remember the Mortal Kombat game as a kid and it has a piece of my nostalgic side attached to it. So, I expected to be disappointed and hate it. But, I didn't. I actually really liked the movie and hope they make a sequel.

Ghosts of War

Synopsis: Five battle-hardened American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. However, they encounter a supernatural enemy far more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield.

My thoughts: This is one of those that I tricked D into and while I thought I was just gonna get a good ole fashioned Nazi ghost story, that is not at all what I got. Sure, it has ghosts and Nazis, but it goes so far beyond that. Not to mention, the cast? Hell to the yes. It may be weird and not what I expected when I signed up, but I still think people should give it a go.

Sweet Girl

Synopsis: Directed by Brian Andrew Mendoza, Sweet Girl stars Momoa as a man named Nick, who seeks revenge against BioPrime, the pharmaceutical company he believes let his wife Amanda die of cancer after pulling a life-saving drug off the market.

My thoughts: Jason Momoa. Enough said. However, if you need more than that, please just watch this movie and follow along the path of watching JM rip your heart out and make you cry like a little bitch.

F9

Synopsis: Dom Toretto is living the quiet life off the grid with Letty and his son, but they know that danger always lurks just over the peaceful horizon. This time, that threat forces Dom to confront the sins of his past to save those he loves most. His crew soon comes together to stop a world-shattering plot by the most skilled assassin and high-performance driver they've ever encountered -- Dom's forsaken brother.

My thoughts: Let's all be honest for a minute here. There are ALOT of Fast&Furious movies. A BUNCH. Probably more than there should be. But, let's be real, no matter how many they make or how ridiculous their plot lines get (seriously, driving a Pinto Fiero into space?), I'm still going to keep watching and loving them all. Why? Because they're just a bunch of high action fun.

A Quiet Place

Synopsis: If they hear you, they hunt you. A family must live in silence to avoid mysterious creatures that hunt by sound. Knowing that even the slightest whisper or footstep can bring death, Evelyn and Lee are determined to find a way to protect their children while desperately searching for a way to fight back.

My thoughts: I decided that I would watch this movie and its sequel while D was working and I was all by my lonesome one early Saturday morning. And guess what? Awesome decision. These movies are so good and I tell people they need to watch them all the time. It doesn't feel like a regular horror movie, but it's just as good. It reminds me a bit of the Predator movies, but in the best of ways. It wasn't "scary" but I definitely had a few creeped out and "jump scare" moments. And the first time you see one of the creatures do its thing? Wowza.

A Quiet Place Part II

Synopsis: Following the deadly events at home, the Abbott family must now face the terrors of the outside world as they continue their fight for survival in silence. Forced to venture into the unknown, they quickly realize that the creatures that hunt by sound are not the only threats that lurk beyond the sand path.

My thoughts: *see above for opinions on both of these movies* I will say though, while I liked both of them a great bit, the sequel may have even been a little bit better than the original.... if that's possible?

Vacation Friends

Synopsis: Marcus and Emily enjoy an unusual week without inhibitions when they meet new friends on vacation, but they are horrified when Ron and Kyla show up uninvited to their wedding.

My thoughts: Oof. Seriously, y'all. If you want to laugh your ass off and have a real good time, you should definitely watch this movie. It wasn't anything that much different than what some movies are doing, but it's so damn hilarious and the actors make those characters shine. D and I both laughed our asses off throughout this entire thing. 10/10 would recommend for a fun night.

Side note: We also watched the Netflix movie Army of the Dead, but I forgot until later and had to add it as an afterthought. As you can probably tell, it wasn't my favorite. It was pretty good, but nothing to jump out and get you, if you know what I mean.

Re-watched from years gone by: The Predator(2018).

On the list to watch as soon as possible: Don't Breathe 2, Candyman(2021), The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions.

I've also been really into American Horror Story lately, and have completed (and would recommend): Coven (season3), Roanoke (season6), and Apocalypse (season8). I have also started Hotel (season5) and Asylum (season2), but I'm much more into Hotel. I know, you're supposed to watch in chronological order, but let's be real, I don't have the patience or forethought for that nonsense.

Finally, I watched all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I have to say, I love it. Don't get me wrong, it's not on the same level as "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" for me, but it is a great one that I can totally see myself re-binge-watching in the future.

And yeah, we've watched a shit ton more movies than this in the past year and a half, but let's be real, I can't remember things for shit and I can just go forward from here.... right? Well, that's what's happening, so I hope that's right. The point is.... yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment